General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by SwaintaN
The car has 220k miles, the weird part with it all is its louder and felt more when just a driver in the car. But add passengers and you barely feel it or hear it.

no tear in in any of the cv boots, and the only part with play is the inner slip joint, thanks for pointing that one out donbrew, i learn new things every day.
Originally Posted by SwaintaN
im gonna pull caliper off tomorrow and have ashley press on the break to see if it is moving or not then go from there with the caliper.

Ashley just drove (so more then 1 person in the car) i was in pass. seat and bam there is all the noise and shaking and shimmy again.
Okay, this seems like a contradiction. Or is it worse now with the new hub?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:43 PM

right now it seems different, you could hear it before by your self plain as day, but now its plain as day when their is a passenger, or maybe its my weight? can weight cause that much of a problem with these cars?

it was fine heading to mikes (5 miles, me ashley and daughter) on way back (just me and ashley), you could hear all the noises again just like before.

Now me and ashley were talking on way back. This car came from her mom and dad, her mom Nila, hit an animal before we got it. Most damage was on driver side, but was all fixed (i dont know if that has anything to do with this, i just happened to remember)
Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 PM

Just tossing a thought out here. Most damage was on driver side so that's what was fixed. But might there have been some damage on the passenger side that went unnoticed?

But what you said about the caliper is bothersome. Look at that real good, maybe a hard line is bent, or soft line pinched, not allowing the brake fluid to exit(or enter) the caliper quickly enough.

And it sounds like the engine mount is toast.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:19 PM

i have engine mounts pull up on RockAuto just in case it came to those. The rubber line that connects from hard line to caliper is good, i checked it while all off thinking it had a hole.

I just did a visual check over the driver side because Dave (her dad) said they had it taken care of but the plastic part of the bumper, they left it with a small dent in it, whatever they hit was big enough it warped the condenser.

i asked Shane (the one who took the motor out) what all he saw, he said everything looked good and in good shape but the knock sensor wire (something weve already dealt with) he did say, since he didnt take out the transmission he doesnt know what the bushing mounts look like on it. So ill research where those are and ill check those to.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:32 PM
Technical Moderator

Could it be the bumper cover is not properly secured or the foam inside is broken? Or the foam that is supposed to be inside the fenders? Or any of the screws and connectors that hold the plastic bits on the front?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 PM

i know on the driver side, it busted through a mount, i need to pop it off and repin it, but i didnt see any issues with passenger side. also have a loose piece on dr side that ill need to stop and buy them plastic push screws.

i went over passenger side and i didnt see anything loose, or feel anything loose. im starting to wonder more and more about either tranny mounts or motor mounts.

also something ashley pointed out, the shake doesnt really start till you hit 55-65 and keep it straight, but by 70+ it goes away

(i did find lots of rust while running the rest of the cords for the stereo system and back up cam, yay more rust)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:36 PM
Administrator

A shake at those speeds, does it get worse if you brake?
Upper motor mount.
I chased this for 6 months, new front brakes rotors, lower ball joints, rear LCA’ bushings, new steering intermediate shaft and steering rack. New left and right axles, hubs.
Rebalanced the tires.
Still a shake at highway speeds when I lift off the throttle to brake for traffic, not a hard brake just to slow abut to adjust speed for traffic.
Then RJ suggests upper mount mount... bingo!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Technical Moderator

There is a bracket between the trans and the motor that I had to replace after my motor replacement because it was cracked. Evidently, it is common because my local dealer had it in stock.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:15 PM

yes sir, it seems to shake more when you brake, easing into the break or even just letting off the gas it shakes even more.

oldblue, just to verify this is the upper?

donbrew i will see if i can find a pic of what your talking about, so i can make sure i check the right thing
Old 03-12-2018, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Yes that’s the upper motor mount

I believe Don is speaking (typing) of the centre transmission mount

Quick Reply: Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more