General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Technical Moderator

Or someone replaced the complete struts before Monroe figured out the problem with using Cobalt springs on HHRs.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:59 PM

okie dokie, so had the kiddo turn the wheel while i was at the tire. She turned each direction and jerked it both directions on both tires.. While watching the coil, the coil moved freely, like no binding no stoppage, i did not feel it on the mount at the top either...

However she did produce the popping noise, on both sides of the car. Sounded like it was coming from inside the motor bay but towards the bottom. Really only occurred when she yanked on the wheel any direction.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
You can even put your hand on the top strut mount studs to see if you feel it.
If so, you probably have a sticking or frozen strut bearing.
Does sound logical.
When your struts where changed were new bearing plates installed?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:14 PM

as far as a remember yea, i replaced everything, didnt reuse anything not knowing how old any of it was and the miles were high at that time
Old 03-21-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Or someone replaced the complete struts before Monroe figured out the problem with using Cobalt springs on HHRs.
Can you explain this?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:16 PM

i didnt understand this either, i did buy HHR ss springs from a member here on the forum when i did all the replacements
Old 03-21-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by SwaintaN
i didnt understand this either, i did buy HHR ss springs from a member here on the forum when i did all the replacements
From anything I've researched, the only difference is spring rates of the Cobalt SS vs HHR SS. The early SS/SC Cobalt being heavier in the front, do to the supercharger, had a greater spring rate than that of the SS/TC. Installed height is the same as the HHR.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:25 PM

I know Ashley is starting to get super mad at me for throwing money and parts at it, i had to take a break and do the things she wanted like a back up cam, seat covers for the front, process of fixing the side door that sticks..

I guess i can take it to a stealership and just let them find what is wrong, i just hate giving money to the big Corps like that. But then I can fix it...
Old 03-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Administrator

The Monroe quick struts had the incorrect Cobalt springs, but that was years ago.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Technical Moderator

The early production Monroe QuickStruts for HHR where actually for Cobalts, somebody said "they are the same". Turns out the HHR has a different design spring, the Cobalt spring would bind and make a noise or hit something somehow.

It was one of the early phantom "bumps and clunks" topics.

As far as I know they never made a QuickStrut for SS, but some books have always said "fits all". Yes, the bolt holes line up.

Quick Reply: Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more