General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 PM

when i did the strut up front and used the SS spring, there was no quick complete strut, i had to rebuild it all.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Yes, that... (all of it. strut bearing is likely, and not expensive, either)

The spring could also be making the pop as it rotates. look for something misaligned or a missing isolator at the bottom. if you can get a hand on it while someone turns the wheels, you'll know if this is it.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:01 PM

If it sat for 4 years, who knows?
Old 03-21-2018, 06:11 PM

thats my biggest thing, it sat for 4 years, so ahh, i guess only thing really confuse the hell out of me is Dave said same shake was there (just not this bad) and Ashley said shake was there to, before we did the new suspension and new-used motor..

Could improperly balanced tires do this? what are some other signs of improperly balanced tires? Pulling to the right...
Old 03-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Technical Moderator

Did you put new tires on after sitting for 4 years?

Yes, tires could do it balance or flattened from sitting. Pull to right is either inflation or alignment.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 PM

no, its still my tires from sitting, they were new right before it sat, like the rest of the crap i put on it ha, dropped alota money for it to sit... tire pressure all the same as of 2 days ago. i figured alignment, which like i said new as well, (i got screwed all teh way around) haha.
but now im hearing about things about Tireman in Findlay (thats who did the tires and alignment).

Gonna get the tires reblanaced and check alignment in about 2 weeks, goes into a different tire shop.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 PM
Technical Moderator

If it literally sat for 4 years on the tires, the tires are now junk, that is what all of those up on cinder blocks jokes are about. By alignment I also mean bad parts (LCA bushings) that you won't consider being bad.

A. tires have a shelf life
B. sitting in one spot deforms the rubber and belts
Old 03-21-2018, 07:16 PM

so i just got RockAuto to pull an old account for me, so i could see what i ordered before it sat (from them at least)
fe5 front/rear strut/shock.
strut mounts from Moog (still under warranty)

dug out receipts from ebay
wheel hubs (then replaced passenger again)
lower control arms with ball joint installed
drilled/slotted rotors w/ pads
sway bar links and sway bar bushings.

SS springs from Member on here

ive done some more digging on the forum.. and the fact dave/ashley says this was going on b4 and after all the replacement, i may bump up the time frame on having the tire balancing checked.. Plus i have (upper) motor mount and tranny mount sitting in cart, thinking about adding steering shaft, throw the damn book at it, haha.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
.By alignment I also mean bad parts (LCA bushings) that you won't consider being bad.
im thinking of checking these again, cause the receipts we have says they are no name branded, while everything else we got was moog or acdelco. so they could be the culprit, her dad could have had bad on to begin with and i swapped it with junks ones...
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 PM
Technical Moderator

Why did you put SS parts on your LT? That is a problerm.

Quick Reply: Shake and Shimmy, cv axle or more