General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Stopping by to say hi and a question for those who have been around

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 01:19 AM

I owned many special cars in my life but if I could have just one back {and didn't have to pay for the gas} I would like my '69 Mach 1 Mustang please.

It had the 428 ci Super Cobra Jet V8 and a rock crusher 4 speed. I drove the wheels off it and it kept on going for me. Finally spun a bearing in the engine, got royally screwed by the dude that said he would rebuild it {but that would be a story for another thread maybe}

Either that or the 2 door coupe '65 Fairlane, 200 ci straight 6 and three on the floor, got good mph and looked damn sharp.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:03 AM

The 2 I wish I had back are my second car a 1960 Pontiac Ventura coupe and the second is my first convertible a 1959 Austin Healey Bug-eye Sprite, the British refer to them as Frog-eye. I am now on my 8th convertible.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ron S
The 2 I wish I had back are my second car a 1960 Pontiac Ventura coupe and the second is my first convertible a 1959 Austin Healey Bug-eye Sprite, the British refer to them as Frog-eye. I am now on my 8th convertible.
I had an MG Midget. Fun car to drive; not so fun when the Lucas electrics would go on strike and smite the car dead without any warning.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:49 PM

omniglhs
I have owned 2 Mark 1 Sprites, a Mark IV, a Mark III MG Midget, a M G 1100 sedan, and MGB and I never had problems with the Lucas electrics. The only problems were people not knowing what they were doing, like hooking up my first Sprite as Neg ground when it is a POS ground car. Or damaging the starter trying to crank it when it wouldn't start because they didn't put any oil in the dashpot on the carburetor.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:36 AM

I got my Midget used - literally hauled it out from beneath a huge snowbank. Initially it suffered from melted points. After a second episode of that, I switched to Blue Streak (at least I think they were called Blue Streak) points and it solved that problem. Another problem I had was when the lights went dark in the middle of nowhere; that turned out to be a bad ground. I remember putting oil in the dashpots, synching the carbs, and literally turning on the valve to the heater core in the fall. I had a Robert Bentley repair manual, it came in very handy.
It truly was a fun car to drive.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:44 AM

Wow, My first car was a 1993 Probe, and back in 2009 17 year old me though it was an Old car! I destroyed the transmission in it because I found it fun to shift it manually, thought its an auto, so eventually the gears gave out. After that was a 1999 Sebring Convertible. Looked great, engine was strong, but had the classic electrical gremlins Chrysler is known for. Also eventually developed a bad wheel bearing, terrible oil leaks all over, broken gas gauge, and occasional death at stoplights for no reason. Now its me and Gregg, and I value him for unique looks, simple maintenance and great durability. Honestly, everything Ive replaced so far (besides the fan I broke) has been preventative, not necessarily required, maintenance. I always say that if something went wrong tomorrow I couldn't be mad. Im fast approaching a quarter million miles and my HHR doesn't owe me a darn thing at this point!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 AM

She Gone

Bought a black 2000 5.9 R/T Dodge Dakota V8 brand new off the showroom floor with 18 miles on it. This thing was mean and FUN to drive. Posi-track rear-end and nearly spun it out the first time I drove it in the rain. LOL. Loved it when those clapped-out Hondas with coffee can mufflers would pull-up next to me at a red light. I'd say to myself 'Please don't tempt me, please don't temp me.' Yeah, just about every time. They had no idea what was under my hood!

Kept it all stock and never even tinted the windows. Got a whopping 11 mpg and I didn't even care. Swore I'd never sell it and was going to put it in a storage facility and possibly hand it down to my son. My wife says to me "You really want a teenager behind the wheel of this thing?" ah dang, sold it back in '12 with only 55k miles on it...

Funny story - when I was signing the paperwork, my wife asked the salesman "What's the difference in the Dakota Sport and the R/T?" I glared at the salesman as if to say "DON'T SAY A WORD OR YOU LOSE THIS SALE." Later told my wife I'd sell it the first speeding ticket get. Had the FOR SALE sign on the back window and I'm doing about 95 on the interstate. Texas State Trooper pulls me over - oh crap!! The first thing he asks with a big smile - "Why are you selling this truck?" Lets me off with a warning!

Now I'm putting around in my '11 HHR and OCD about MPG & just let everyone drive around me if they don't like me driving the speed limit. LOL
Old 02-13-2018, 04:53 AM

'65 corvair