General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Sunvisor Airbag Decal

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:22 PM

God help us all!

Old 11-17-2006, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by JimZ_HHR

so this is copyrighted too... you can find these at any graphics place in the mall
This is actually not trademarked. It is in itself a violation of both DaimlerChrysler's trademark "Dodge" and Bill Waterson's "Calvin" character trademark. The Calvin violation is indefensible but the use of Dodge being urinated on could be argued as parody and, therefore, fair use if they weren't being sold (used commercially).

You simply cannot use another entities trademarks commercially without their permission. FYI - trademarks and copyrights are different. Simply put, trademarks identify the source of goods and services (usually a name or a logo) and copyrights protect something expressed in a fixed medium (such as text, sounds, or picures). source

BTW- I have shut down a number of those mall kiosks that make a living off of trademark violation. They may get away with it for awhile but eventually someone in the know will stumble upon their nefarious activities and take action.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by bdubsee
I've been watching this thread with quite a bit of interest. To qualify myself, I am the licensing director for a large university and deal a great deal with issues related to IP (Intellectual Property). Big Jim is 'correct' that you can use a picture of a Chevy on an item without too much risk. The problem with this sticker in particular is not the outline of the HHR but rather the use of the Chevrolet logo and the term 'HHR' since General Motors Corp. holds valid trademarks on both. To use these registered trademarks without permission is both theft and an infringement of the GM's right to choose how their trademarks are used.

Something to think about- purchases of illegal, unlicensed Chevrolet and HHR goods discourages vendors from creating licensed products and REDUCES our choices for legitimate, high quality parts by giving the thieves a competitive advantage (usually 5-15% of wholesale for royalties to use the marks).

Stealing is wrong. Whether it is a radio, wheels, music, computer or a trademark. They are all property of someone else that they have worked hard to create or purchase. You can rationalize all you want but you know it is wrong.

Well put!!!! Disregard my early post!!!!

Later,
Mark
Old 11-17-2006, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

bdubsee....

Thanks, for that information. And, you made sense. But, one question.....

If the Chevrolet logo (bowtie) is trademarked, how does every seller of bow-tie replicas get away with it? I mean, geez, just on the HHR forums, I have seen dozens of different types....polished, painted, machined, billet, etc.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:09 PM

Snoopy...

They get away with it because GM lets them. Whenever you are handling trademarks you walk a fine line between protecting the brand and alienating your fans. You go after the most egregious violators and turn a blind eye to the hobbyists. Also, the numbers are on the counterfeiters side - GM only has so much staff to search out the counterfeits in a global market. In the final analysis, do these stickers hurt anyone? Not really but the legal standard requires that GM defend its trademark or risk losing control of them.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, Brian...

Oh, did you work as a administrator in a college in CO.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Thanks, Brian...

Oh, did you work as a administrator in a college in CO.
Nope. Before this gig I worked for GM marketing ACDelco products in Grand Blanc, MI
Old 11-17-2006, 06:45 PM

Trademark brings up a new twist. Trademarks come with an obligation to police and protect them. http://www.bitlaw.com/trademark/internet.html

If you don't go after trademark offenders the law can consider the trademark "abandonded" and you will lose it. http://www.momentummedia.com/article...m1705/logo.htm

In the cases of the Chevy logos it might be different because the use obviously refers to Chevy products. The problem comes up if someone starts using the Chevy name or logo for a completely different product and Chevy doesn't go after them.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:35 AM

I like it
Old 12-14-2006, 09:10 PM

sunvisor decal

I purchased my airbag decal stickers from www.401graphics.com. You can choose the background colors and printing colors. He has a selection to choose from for the HHR. Sure looks better than the airbag warning. I installed the sticker when you put the visor down from the outside it shows the Chevy bowtie and HHR. I will take a picture from the outside so you can see.

Quick Reply: Sunvisor Airbag Decal