General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Technical towing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM

I just installed a reese trailer hitch and came with the 5 inch riser reciver, model 77132. I put on a 2" ball. My Trailer is a 3 seater jetski alum trailer....I can open the hatch no problem, the ball sits just below the middle of rear bumper. I would not go out further with the reciever in my opinion would put too much tension on the hitch itself. with the 80 pounds and bouncing all over the road, with bumps. No reciver will be that high, and that close to the hatch from opening...they would never sell it, in that case on the market. another words noone would buy one then if it blocks the gate from opening. You will have no problem...with your 1st choice on the curt model.

Your only concern should be with the 80 pound tonge weight, is how level you want your trailer with your HHR. It will sag in the rear.

good luck, with it. I hope this helps...
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by oneboater
I just installed a reese trailer hitch and came with the 5 inch riser reciver, model 77132. I put on a 2" ball. My Trailer is a 3 seater jetski alum trailer....I can open the hatch no problem, the ball sits just below the middle of rear bumper. I would not go out further with the reciever in my opinion would put too much tension on the hitch itself. with the 80 pounds and bouncing all over the road, with bumps. No reciver will be that high, and that close to the hatch from opening...they would never sell it, in that case on the market. another words noone would buy one then if it blocks the gate from opening. You will have no problem...with your 1st choice on the curt model.

Your only concern should be with the 80 pound tounge weight, is how level you want your trailer with your HHR. It will sag in the rear.

good luck, with it. I hope this helps...

Thanks for the input.

I mentioned 80lbs. tounge weight because thats normal for the estimated OA trailer weight I will have, but I will be monitoring the way it drives and handles with that much weight and adjust lighter if possible.
The boat is a Classic 1965 Alumacraft Maracibo and is built from heavier aluminum stock then most 14ft. boats.