General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking about buying an HHR...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GeeMac
I think the extra HP will be noticeable when you are on the highway.
The VVT makes it noticeable throughout the entire power band. It's not really the additional .2 liters you're noticing, it's the VVT. Actually you feel it more down low.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:31 PM

The HHR is much more "square" than the Vibe, in terms of the rear cargo area. I believe there is more cargo space as well. From a fellow musician, it means great deal.

Most of our gear, if enclosed in cases and what not, are square or rectangular in shape. So, it is easy to fit all those cases, speaker cabs, racks, etc in the back.

I have hauled most of my gear, and some, in the back. In fact, it holds just as much gear as my Chevy Blazer. In my last gig, I hauled 4 keyboards (Roland A-37, Korg Triton LE 61 key, Roland D-50, Roland AX-1, a Roland KC-550 amp, Keyboard Stand, 2 accessory cases for cords and pedals, a 2 space rack with a Peavy Deca-700 amp, 2 PA speakers - 15" Yamaha's, 3 folding stands, and 2 sets of those furniture dolly's to haul all my gear). (I will take a pic on my next gig in a few weeks.....)

ALL this in the back of my HHR.....I have the 5-speed, 2LT, with just about all the bells and whistles (except no XM). The car never noticed it was even carrying the load.

My opinion, GET THE HHR..you will not regret it....and you will not have to ever turn down any gigs....
Old 04-22-2006, 11:02 PM

I've hauled 2 basses and my full bass rig bback there - while still having my dual 10" bandpass box in & hooked up! Plenty of room!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by erf2u
The HHR is much more "square" than the Vibe, in terms of the rear cargo area. I believe there is more cargo space as well. From a fellow musician, it means great deal.

Most of our gear, if enclosed in cases and what not, are square or rectangular in shape. So, it is easy to fit all those cases, speaker cabs, racks, etc in the back.

I have hauled most of my gear, and some, in the back. In fact, it holds just as much gear as my Chevy Blazer. In my last gig, I hauled 4 keyboards (Roland A-37, Korg Triton LE 61 key, Roland D-50, Roland AX-1, a Roland KC-550 amp, Keyboard Stand, 2 accessory cases for cords and pedals, a 2 space rack with a Peavy Deca-700 amp, 2 PA speakers - 15" Yamaha's, 3 folding stands, and 2 sets of those furniture dolly's to haul all my gear). (I will take a pic on my next gig in a few weeks.....)
That's exactly the testimony I'm looking for! I've got a Gallien-Krueger full stack to carry, along with sometimes doing double duty on keys (Yamaha DX-7 and Korg SG-1D with synth pedals) and maybe the occasional guitar amp, but that doesn't take up much room.

And you don't find it sluggish after loading all that in there?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
I've hauled 2 basses and my full bass rig bback there - while still having my dual 10" bandpass box in & hooked up! Plenty of room!
Well, then I must know, what kind of gear do you have?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by tplyons
Hey, if there's another HHR meet in Jersey, let me know! I'll come out, would love to check them out!
Look in our Northeast Section. I post a monthly meet each month.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by tplyons
And you don't find it sluggish after loading all that in there?
Not one bit! in fact, (not to hijack the thread), last night, on my way home from rehearsal and with all my keyboard gear (minus the PA speakers) I decided to "open her up" on the San Mateo Bridge again. The last time I tried it, it was very windy out in the bay, and I could only top it at about 105mph. Last night, she went 110mph+, and had room to go. I had to slow down because of other cars ahead of me.

But, even on the hills of SF, with a manual tranny, it was not sluggish at all.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by erf2u
Not one bit! in fact, (not to hijack the thread), last night, on my way home from rehearsal and with all my keyboard gear (minus the PA speakers) I decided to "open her up" on the San Mateo Bridge again. The last time I tried it, it was very windy out in the bay, and I could only top it at about 105mph. Last night, she went 110mph+, and had room to go. I had to slow down because of other cars ahead of me.

But, even on the hills of SF, with a manual tranny, it was not sluggish at all.
Just what I'm looking to hear :)
Old 04-23-2006, 02:41 PM

I agree with some of the others about the 1LT vs. 2LT. The 2LT gives the most bang for the buck. I ordered mine pretty much with the same equipment you are looking for. 2LT with: 5 speed, leather, roof rails, side air bags, polished wheels, sunroof. Sticker on mine was over $21K but negotiated it down to $19,300. Keep in mind the 2LT package combines options you will be paying for individually if you get the 1LT. I priced them out about everyway you could spec one and as I said before the 2LT has the most bang for the buck. I didn't order the running boards at the time I ordered but after reading numerous posts as to why they were needed I went back and the added them, installed, for an additional $525. Of course, if you order that option it is only $445.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:57 PM

I parked a new Vibe next to an HHR at the sales lot and got out my tape measure. With the rear seats UP, the distance between the rear hatch and backs of the seats were virtually identicle @ 43"the width at the seat backs was slightly more on the Vibe @51".The HHR has more cubby holes to store your stuff. The real difference came in the test drive. The vibe was rough, the engine had way more vibration than the HHR 2.2, power was less on the Vibe ... course its only a 1.8, strike Vibe off my list, now to compare a Caliber RT.......well I've driven an SXT........wish the rear seats folded flatter, cargo is less than Vibe or HHR @48, but for the same price I can get AWD in the Caliber.......

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an HHR...