General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Tough Call: Sell or Keep my 2008 LS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 AM

Tough Call: Sell or Keep my 2008 LS?

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I've always liked retro-things, so got a PT Cruiser in 2003, and got an HHR LS in summer 2008. Been very happy with it.

I'm a Catholic priest in my mid-30s, and do a ton of driving. I visit friends and family, and on my day off take many road-trips as I'm an avid bird photographer, so go all over. Took it out to Glacier National Park last summer too.

No issues at all with it other than brake work, and new tires, typical maintenance issues. Struts too I believe were replaced.

Averaged 33 MPG on my recent road trip up to Minnesota's north shore.

I now have 120,000 on my HHR, and it's still running fine. Maybe it's memories of the thousands my Blazer cost me in the 90s or how when I sold my PT everything went wrong with it to the new owner, but I'm at a crossroads. I do like peace of mind with a warranty, and am just concerned little things will crop up as mileage increases, like water pump or belts, etc. I'm eyeing the new Hyundai Elantra GT, a hatchback version of their Elantra that can get 40 MPG. It's not out yet; test drove an Elantra sedan and it was very smooth, but I like hatchbacks. I'd sell my HHR outright to get a little more than a trade-in. The previously owned car market is pretty good right now so I think I could get a good price.

So, just looking for suggestions. For those with higher-mileage HHRs, have you had any issues? At what point do you sell your car and get something new - drive it into the ground or change cars more often?

Thanks for any advice,
Fr. Paul from the Twin Cities
Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Deceased

to the forum Fr. Paul!

Well as the owner of three HHR's so far(a running joke here is my attempt to corner the HHR market), I wouldn't be afraid of keeping your current one and just running it as usual. Yes there can be things that will go wrong as the miles pile up, but nothing beyond the things that will usually let go or wear out. At 120k you need to replace your spark plugs, service the transmission(if you have an automatic), change the serpentine belt, and change the coolant if you already haven't done those things. Some of our members are at 200k, 300k, and beyond with their HHR's still burbling along happily.

My 2006 is at 130k and change and I have no problems with it, its like a Swiss watch, always ready to go at any time. You'll find tons of info here, and folks ready, willing, and able to help with your questions.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 AM

Welcome Father! Keep it if you can. Regular maintenance is key, and you already have the best Co-pilot ever. Win win.

If you really want to get rid of it, I'm sure there is a deserving family within your congregation that would love to have it
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 AM

Welcome aboard
I would keep it myself unless there is another model HHR you like better.
I guess you have to decide to have no car payments and no warranty or trade it in on another one and have a payment possibly with a warranty.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Do what you are most comfortable with. There is always a risk with high mileage cars, though for the most part, you should be able to get 200k without too many issues. Still, you will incur some cost. Its a machine, and machines do wear out.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Consider a trade?

If you wanted to trade for a lower mileage car. Wife and I have a 2010 LS, metallic red with 23,000 miles. Excellent shape. Wife's knee needs a rest from our standard. If any interest be glad to share specifics. We have multiple cars so not likely to put a lot of miles on. Jim in Lufkin, TX