The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Tough old bird!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Tough old bird!

My 87 year old grandmother had a heart attack last Thursday morning and went into full cardiac arrest in the ambulance. When they got to the hospital, she had no pulse. She was put on a ventilator and needed a procedure called Valvuloplasty to open up her blocked heart valve.

She was basically unconscious all of Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They had removed the ventilator and she was breathing on her own by Saturday night, but she was heavily sedated and couldn't speak because of swelling from the ventilator. By Sunday night, she could speak in a whisper. We explained to her what had happened and where she was. She turned her head towards my mom and whispered…"Lakers?"

We had to tell her the Lakers were out of the playoffs. My mom says to her her, “Mom, you can still watch the clippers.” She turned her head and whispered, “I don’t want to watch the goddamn clippers."

I don’t know why I thought this was so funny, but it really was. This lady beat cancer in the 80s and was slowed but not stopped by a stroke in the 90s, and here she is, cheating death once again, and she's more concerned with the Lakers than she was with her own health concerns. Tough lady indeed!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Deceased

Attitude is everything, and it sounds like she's got the right kind to pull her through.

My great aunt turned 102 last month, still living independently, still driving, and still taking "old people" from her church to the store because they've given up driving in their 80's.

She'll keep on going like the Energizer Bunny as long as she refuses to act her age.

Please pass on the well wishes from the forum to your grandmother, and she's right, who'd wanna watch the GD Clippers anyway.