General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Towed HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:02 AM

Towed HHR

I will be towing my 2011 behind my motor home and need to install a kit into the #8 fuse, instead of having to remove it each time I tow. Although I am a fair shade tree mechanic the old(very old) back really barks when I get too twisted so would like photos of the fix or good directions and a good place for buying one. As always thanks in advance.

Don
Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 AM

these are a little pricy http://rv-partsplus.com/rving-fuseswitch

or you can make your own if you are handy with a soldering iron. take a similar fuse, remove the plastic from the fusable link, remove the link, solder a wire from one side to a in-line fuse holder, solder a wire from the other side to a switch, solder the other end of the in-line fuse to the other side of the switch, protect the exposed wires, mount the switch. hope this helps

I tried to research where I bought mine but lost the information (I do remember it was a Canadian company), sorry.

I mounted mine to the access door, easy to get to from the drivers seat.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Budster, I think the link you provided is the Canadian company, which is where I got mine also. The first one they sent didn't work, but they were quick to send another even before I returned the original. I used velcro and attached mine to the carpet toward the front of the transmission hump. Easy to get to, works great.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 PM

Contacted RV Supply, which is a Canadian Company and ordered the kit. Said they have modified it somewhat which should make it a little easier to install.

Thanks again, this newby thinks this is a pretty darned good forum.

Don
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 PM

Installed the fuse by pass kit, not sure if it works right as the only difference I can see is the key wont come out of the ignition switch. Am I okay or missing something?

Don
Old 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Removing fuse 8 or disabling it will disable functions that normally run, like the radio and the SRS system, when the ignition is in the ACC position, which is the position it must be in when you tow, so the front wheels can turn. Should have nothing to do with removal of the key!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:49 AM

Unhappy

Got it working properly, that little 2 amp fuse controls everything that comes on when you turn the key to the first click to allow steering to turn. Headlights, radio, the whole pie. Feel better now so after installing the base plate I am ready to roll. Just can't afford a tank of diesel....Sigh.

Don
Old 09-01-2012, 11:34 AM

Yeah, diesel is very expensive. We are heading out in a week or so, trying not to think too much about what the fuel will cost. Good luck with your towing, our HHR has been a great toad, has lots of towed mileage, which doesn't show on the odemeter, since that is one of the things disabled by removing fuse 8.