General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Towing a 2009 HHR w/Automatic Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 03:09 AM

To tow safely, yes you need a good tow bar. As far as connecting to the HHR, you will need to install, or have installed a base plate on the car. I use all Blue Ox tow gear, and yes its expensive, but it works well. Roadmaster is probably what Camping World will install, and its ok too. Don't forget brakes, especially if you are going to tow in Oregon, Oregon is adamant about braking systems. I know of several RV'rs that were pulled over in Oregon, and with no braking system, forced to disconnect the car and have someone drive it separately. Its also just safer to have a functional braking system.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:44 PM

I use a blue ox tow bar and base plate. The two bar I bought used and the base plate I bought new. Etrailer is the cheapest I have found. Here is a Video on how to install the base plate. I did it in the garage with out jacking the car.
The one thing I really like about the blue ox base plate is when your not tow is it is very low profile compared to some others.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:51 PM

I use a brake buddy for toad braking. It seems to work well. You will also read in your owners manual that you need to pull fuse number 8 so you can have the steering unlocked and not drain the battery.

I installed a switch that disconnects fuse number 8 just to make it easy.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Lucky, you are correct, the blue ox equipment is just about invisable when the pins are not in. I use the US Gear brake system, expensive to buy and install, but only needs to be plugged in to become functional. Very easy to use, and I love easy.
I too installed the switch to disconnect fuse 8, much easier, and we know how I feel about easy.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:08 PM

For what a blue ox tow bar and base plate installation costs + the extra braking system, I can use that money to buy an old VW beetle that weights 1800lbs and a $120 tow bar - that is all I need. I installed these systems as an RV tech- it can be a hard job the first time you do it.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by benkhanobe
For what a blue ox tow bar and base plate installation costs + the extra braking system, I can use that money to buy an old VW beetle that weights 1800lbs and a $120 tow bar - that is all I need. I installed these systems as an RV tech- it can be a hard job the first time you do it.
Very true but some state would still require you to have a braking system to be legal.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

And I could strap a bicycle on the back and save being seen in a Beetle, and the $120 would by me the bike. I win!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:36 PM

Towing an HHR

I just received my new Chiltons service manual for my 2010 HHR and something I found puzzles me.
On page 0-19 it states this.
"Two-wheeled drive models can be towed from the rear with the rear wheels off the ground, using a wheel lift type tow truck. If towed from the front, the rear wheels must be placed on a dolly. All-wheel drive models must be towed with all four wheels off the ground. A sling-type tow truck cannot be used, as body damage will result. The best way to tow the vehicle is with a flat-bed carrier.
In an emergency the vehicle can be towed a short distance with a cable or chain attached to one of the towing eyelets located under the front or rear bumpers. The driver must remain in the vehicle to operate the steering and brakes (remember that power steering and power brakes will not work with the engine off)."

Am I missing something? Just don't get it. That's all it has under the towing section, too.

And yes I'm a woman, so overlook me if I'm just not getting it. Lol
Old 09-16-2016, 02:55 PM
Administrator

The Chilton manual refers generically to automatic transmission cars and trucks. The rear wheels on a two wheel drive car with rear wheel drive should not be towed by lifting the front tires, this is because the fluid pump will not spin and lubricate the internals of that type of transmission.

Many have flat towed their HHR's and had no problems.
Please check your owners manual for specific instructions about towing your HHR.
Good point to bring up!
Old 09-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Technical Moderator

I understood it. Maybe the different types of tow gave you trouble. AND the Chilton section has not been updated since front wheel drive has become "standard".

Have you noticed how few old-fashioned hook tow truck are around? Most are flat bed now.

Quick Reply: Towing a 2009 HHR w/Automatic Transmission