General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by joepepsi
My 2011 LT 2.2 has a trailer hitch. I've been considering a Curt 9-3/4 or 10" receiver with either 3.5 or 5" lift. I have a 1994 Playbuoy 16' pontoon. It's on dry dock on a trailer at the harbor where we rent the slip. It's sitting 150-200 yards from the boat launch ramp. It's flat land although the launch is a little steep. Do you think I'd be OK dropping the boat in and pulling it out with the HHR? I won't be on the road, just driving across a parking lot. I think the boat's listed weight is 1600 lbs. No idea about the trailer, but both boat and trailer are fairly stripped down units. 30hp outboard Evinrude. First two years my buddy dropped it in with his Blazer, but he the engine blew on it last Fall. I'd never tow it on the highway, but if it needed repair I'd like to be able to tow it in town-never above 25MPH. I'm on the Mississippi so the town is flat old river bottom.
You are talking about backing down a ramp? Yes, I would be concerned about traction with that much weight.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM

Good Point .... The added trailer tongue weight is on the rear with no benefit to the front drive wheels.

Many boat ramps are wet and can be slippery. ..

Just a guess but the trailer alone has to weigh 250-300 lbs. or more unless it's aluminum.

The Front tires could be the variable Weak Link.

Silverfox

Last edited by Silverfox; 05-10-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Good Point .... The added trailer tongue weight is on the rear with no benefit to the front drive wheels.

Many boat ramps are wet and can be slippery. ..

Just a guess but the trailer alone has to weight 250-300 lbs. or more unless it's aluminum.

The Front tires could be the variable Weak Link.

Silverfox

I'm thinking he may be able to LAUNCH the boat, but recovering it? Don't think so!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
I'm thinking he may be able to LAUNCH the boat, but recovering it? Don't think so!
Might launch the HHR too.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 PM

Those thinking about towing more than 1,000 lbs need to consider this:
Vehicles are rated with towing capacities using scientifically engineered qualifications, based on pulling, handling and stopping the towed trailer.

If your exceeding the RATED limit leads to an "accident" that seriously injures or kills someone, unless that person has no living relatives, you will most definitely be heading for a wrongful death lawsuit.
And let me tell you something, nowadays even a lawyer who took a dozen tries to pass the bar will easily own you and everything you will ever have. On behalf of the survivors of course.

And don't forget street justice, where you never make it to court. This is some serious stuff when it affects life or death of loved ones.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Might launch the HHR too.
You know, the HHR would make a boss-looking aquatic vehicle, with the top off of course.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

You know, the HHR would make a boss-looking aquatic vehicle, with the top off of course.
I agree....
Old 05-11-2019, 08:40 AM

I could strip down the pontoon and drive the HHR onto the deck, then float around on the Mississippi. That would be impressive! Until it sunk. OK, sounds like I should forego any launch attempt with the HHR.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Silverfox, you would be surprised how many Class A RVs tow HHRs 4 down. I see at least 2 or 3 every camping season. We have a travel trailer and are in campgrounds a fair number of weekends every year. And they love them. I actually thought there was a member here that towed theirs with an RV.

Regarding being a "1/2 ton", it should not be confused with the term being applied to modern PU trucks. 1/2 ton = 1500/150 series, 3/4 ton = 2500/250 series, 1 ton = 3500/350 series. Those terms are still used even though they have not been accurate for decades. My 2008 Sierra is a 1500, i.e a "1/2 ton". It has a 7500# towing capacity, certainly more than 1/2 ton. Keep in mind that the HHR is not a true truck, its still a Chevy Cobalt underneath the pretty skin. Neither are good for towing much other than small utility trailers. For short runs they certainly can do more. But anything heavier than what's recommended is going to be hard on the car for distance traveling.

That said towing is not just about towing capacity. Tongue weight, payload, and axle capacity are all important to consider. For example, I would not tow a 7500# travel trailer with my truck even though it's rated for it. The tongue weight would eat at my payload and not leave much room for hauling anything in the truck.

That 1200# teardrop is probably listed at it's "dry weight". Dry weight is a fictional number. It does not include any options. For example, many lower end trailers do not come with a spare tire. It's an option, not included in the dry weight. You will never be towing it at it's dry weight when loaded and ready to camp. What you want to use is the GVWR. While you may not load it to that weight, you'll likely be closer to that weight when loaded. And your gas mileage will be bad. Even with a tear drop the wind resistance will drag the car down and severely diminish mileage. This is something a lot of new travel trailer owners get surprised by. Just as an example, my Sierra gets 16 in the city, 21 highway. When I tow, if it's not windy I can get 11 mpg at 62 mph.

Don good point about needing to stop. I do not know if teardrop trailers have brakes. In most states trailers that light are not required to have brakes. I wonder how well an HHR can stop with a 1000# trailer at 60 mph? However, troopers don't check weight. There is actually no law in any state that says anything about non-commercial vehicles and towing overweight. There should be. But there is not. I've seen this discussed to ad nauseam on several RV forums. Where it could go sour is as a civil suit. If you can't stop and cause an injury accident or death, lawyers will eat up the fact that you have towed over the manufacturers recommendation.
Every state that i know of has a max. Towed vehicle weight that varies state to state. If that weight is in excess you must have aux. braking system such as Brake Buddy. My understanding,...regardless of commercial or recreational
Old 05-08-2021, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Here we see the front end doesn’t seem to be to lifted by the tongue weight

Here’s a closer look

I wouldn’t put a much bigger boat and trailer behind an HHR

Quick Reply: towing