General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Wanting to tow a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 AM

Wanting to tow a trailer

I know this has probably been discussed before,
but I'd like to tow a trailer with my HHR.

I haven't yet put a hitch on, but my trailer is 4' X 8'
enclosed, and weighs 632#
It has a GVWR of 2000#

I don't plan on carrying that much.....maybe 500 pounds. I worry about the transmission mostly.
Any experienced advice?

Last edited by richardims; 03-04-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: didn't complete message
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Banned

Welcome richardims.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Deceased

to the forum richardims!

Here's a thread on towing with an HHR, it does get contentious at times, but you should be able to glean some helpful info from it.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/trailer-towing-troubling-observation-37119/

** As an aside, the HHR really isn't a good tow vehicle in my opinion, your trailer fully loaded will be over the capacity of the HHR as established by GM, so if you have an alternate tow vehicle like pickup or full size SUV available to you, I'd go that route.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 AM

I have a 5x8 steel trailer that I load up every year with mulch for the wife and it weighs in at 2800# and have not had any problems, granted I am pulling for less than twenty miles, but I also use the trailer quite often for trips to HOME DEPOT. I suggest loading trailer to front of axle or you could be in for a little bump and grind.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM

In Europe, everyone tows with their cars.

However, be cautious about the weight.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 AM

Just out of curiosity does anyone have the euro HHR towing specs? I'm wondering if our overly litigious land has imposed different on us.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Welcome & enjoy the forum!

I have towed many times before. Trailer weighs about 300lbs by itself, can carry 1200lbs. I have never carried that much and try to keep the total weight around the 1000lb listing in the manual. I run into a landscaper that has a heavy duty trailer he rides a large mower up on with all his other equipment onto his HHR. His last HHR went about 160,000. His new one I am sure will do the same.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM

I have a 4X8 utility trailer here myself. I do not have a hitch for the HHR yet but I do have one on my 2006 Dodge Neon.

The trailer is rated at one ton or 2000 pounds of payload. The Neon is rated to pull 1000 pounds of weight including the weight of the trailer.

This has not stopped me from hauling 4000 pounds of dirt on occasion. I am not hauling the dirt all that far, about 30 miles. In our front lawn there are several tall trees. The roots from these trees work their way up to be on top of the dirt every few years so I put the dirt on top of them to cover them to keep from hitting them with the lawn mower.

The place I buy the dirt has a scale for dump trucks you have to weigh your vehicle before the put the end loader scoop of dirt in then again once they fill it. The trailer has sideboards on it so I don't just lose the dirt.

I was shocked the first time I got a bucket of dirt. The gross weight was more than the trailer is rated at and I worried that I would break something. The springs were pretty flat but still had a little 'smile' to them.

I drove home very slowly indeed. Once I got home and unloaded the dirt I checked all the bolts on both the car and the trailer. I used a straight edge on the frame of the trailer and it was as straight as the straight edge.

I can only conclude that there was no harm done. I've hauled two such trailer loads of dirt with no problem so far.

I fully intend to buy a hitch for the HHR as I will probably have to haul another wagon load of dirt this summer.

There is a fellow across town who had been using his HHR to pull a 17' self contained Prowler camper to his land out west. He upgraded campers last summer and bought a much bigger diesel Chevy crew cab pickup to pull the much larger camper.

He says he really hates the fuel economy on the diesel but it sure is nice when pulling the big camper.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Everyone has their own opinion. The manual says 1000lbs but that may be a little bit on the safe side. I would think you could go coast to coast with 1500lbs total weight on roads with minor hills. If you going up and down some really big inclines I don't think I would be riding around with 4,000 lbs in tow. Driving 20 miles a few times a year with a heavy load wouldn't worry me. If it was every weekend I would probably use a different vehicle. Also with your enclosed trailer the big issue will be aerodynamic drag as it is an exponential function with speed. So going down a 55 mph road will be much less stressful then cruising 75 mph down the freeway.

I'm going to try towing with my HHR Panel tonight. I have 2 standup jet skis on a small trailer that I'm going to try out.

The hitch I purchased on Ebay with a wiring harness was around $165.00 and it is made in America. Curt is the brand name. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM

I tow a pop up made by Livin Lite,all aluminan constructon and light at 865 lbs plus gear
Name:  DSCF0624.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  64.0 KB

Quick Reply: Wanting to tow a trailer