General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Drove it... Only 15 feet, but drove it none the less. I needed to make room for a huge 69 c-20 in my garage, and the HHR is still running really bad. I made the mental decision that today was going to be the day that this car was going to run and drive. She will start, run poorly, vibrate like something in a shoe box under the bed, fluctuate wildly on the RPMs, and then die.

Started with pulling everything to get the valve cover off, and rotated the engine to TDC using the crank bolt. The timing looked just about right, but not 100 percent, so the front cover came off again to check TDC with the mark on the crank sprocket too since the crank pulley doesn't seem to have the groove, and mark for TDC. It looked close again, but to be sure, I decided just to redo it, and this way I can check for compression again too. Pulled the timing chain, and cams out so the valves would all seat. A little compressed air in the spark plug holes spun the engine, so It's getting compression. So I put the timing chain back in, turned it over, and everything lined up again, turned it over twice, and everything was lined up again... Put it all back together, and now it still runs terrible... Better but still terrible... I did manage to drive it out into the drive way though.

Time to start checking the bottom of the engine I guess. I need to do some work on the C-20 before I can dive into this from the bottom. I'm thinking I'm going to pull the oil pan again, and start snooping around for a spun bearing, and start looking into the tyranny causing the problem if I can't find an issue down there. Also the guy across the street has those super fancy scanner tools, I might have to give him a ring and see if that can shed some light on my next move.

It is nice having the HHR parked in the drive way. It gets interesting looks from the neighbors driving by. I will try to get some pics up today of her out in the sun.

Side note- The back end is so light now two men can lift it and move it around to make room with out much effort.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
well the clean HHR was short lived it is still a lite snow falling here which means the roads are covered in sloopy sand and salt and slush. But 3 months until car show season for me!!

Sorry for the issue with you're new ride southern red!
It's ok. I'm just hoping the damage is purely cosmetic. It's driving ok, but tomorrow I'll know for sure when I take it to the repair shop for an estimate.

Sorry the clean HHR was short lived. I know after all the snow, sand and muck, mine needed a serious bath too!! I almost hosed it down yesterday, but the showers today are doing a pretty good job for me.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:47 PM

Washed the HHR last night for Date night. Picked up my lady friend and by the time I got there the HHR looked like it had not been washed in a month ,went to dinner and drove home in a small snow storm complete with salt and sand
Old 02-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Administrator

more snow, more road sloop, so going out for a coffee!!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM

Smile Part

I made a nice new part for mine today.

Name:  hhrmoonadapterrwbbackground.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  110.8 KB
Old 02-03-2014, 09:47 PM

Transmission fluid and filter in the mail and on their way. Will be replacing both the output seals and changing the fluid this weekend. Will be taking pics of the work and give you guys updates. Anyone change output seals before?
Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Washed off the sloop from last couple of days, it is sunny outside but just 34 degrees, backed her into the garage for time to dry off, maybe a wipe down with detailer and spray wax later today.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Gohmer, what is that??
Old 02-04-2014, 02:34 PM

I'm gonna guess it's a spacer of some sort...
Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 PM

I was wondering that too? I thought maybe there would be more info to follow

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your HHR Today?