General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What is GM CERTIFIED CRITERA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
On a Chevrolet if the vehicle has less than 36,000 miles and is less than 3 years old it adds 12 months and 12,000 to the factory bumper to bumper warranty so you end up with a 4 year 48,000 mile factory warranty.

If it has more than 36K or is over 3 years old it gets a 12/12 warranty from the date of purchase as a certified used vehicle.

The 5 year 100K powertrain is calculated from the original in service date, which is the date it was purchased new by the original owner.
Oh, so they can certify cars over 36,000 miles? I didn't know that part. You might be paying for it in the price but it's still good you can get that. I thought the car had to be under 36k to qualify.

Does that mean a car with 45k but under three years old can get the 12/12 warranty and have bumper to bumper to 57k/12 months?

Terry
Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by terryk
Oh, so they can certify cars over 36,000 miles? I didn't know that part. You might be paying for it in the price but it's still good you can get that. I thought the car had to be under 36k to qualify.

Does that mean a car with 45k but under three years old can get the 12/12 warranty and have bumper to bumper to 57k/12 months?

Terry
A vehicle can be certified that has less than 75,000 miles and is a 2005 or newer vehicle.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 AM

But it still comes down to honesty and integrity on what your actually getting used from anywhere.Anything can be made to look pretty and anyone can produce a piece a paper claiming anything....and just about anything can be made to last long enuf to make it out the door.
No matter what you buy theres no reason one should not have done a little research first so questions can be asked.....there have been several vehicles that have NOT been bought because of known problems occuring at specific milages and age. The internet can be a wonderful thing if you know how to use it.
So..no matter what can be produced by the seller...buyer beware!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 AM

So one point is to the first question, you should not have had to pay for the cabin filter as servicing that is on the checklist. Second point being the dealer you bought from appears to have done nothing other than wash the car prior to delivery. I would think worth reporting, at the very least on your service satisfaction survey.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by c2vette
So one point is to the first question, you should not have had to pay for the cabin filter as servicing that is on the checklist. Second point being the dealer you bought from appears to have done nothing other than wash the car prior to delivery. I would think worth reporting, at the very least on your service satisfaction survey.

I agree on both points!
Old 01-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyM84
im starting to wonder if my car was in a wreck....i have an 06 spring edition i bought in 08with 16k miles on it and it eats tires pretty quick and all the body panels have stickers that say "safe parts" and a 1800 number on them. upon further review i just noticed a paint run on the back bumper so im guessing it was re-sprayed or GM just did a crappy job.......i also had a carfax report that said no issues
I am NOT a expert, but I think "safe parts" means non GM replacement parts. Re-run Carfax. You have already replaced tires at 16K? I could have gotten 60K if I had tried.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:54 PM

As to the x point checklist, notice most are inspect, not inspect repair/replace/report, or by whom it is done. AND why in the world would anybody recommend topping off the brake fluid??? the reason there is a low line on the reservoir is to gauge disc pad wear, without pulling a wheel. Where does Mr. Goodwrench think the brake fluid would go?, if it needs topping off that means the brakes need to be closely inspected (a teardown, if the pads are not worn).
This has been a major gripe of mine for many years, since my first 1969 Karmann-Ghia. I have even had discussions with transmission techs about the clutch fluid being low, I said I think my clutch must be wearing out because the reservoir is low. he said where did the fluid go? I have had the identical discussion with a few brake techs. You would think a basic knowledge of fluid dynamics would be required.
Or, is the topping off of hydraulic fluids a way to make more money on repairs?

Last edited by donbrew; 01-09-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM

But, I paid GM to do the inspection! AND they "certified" that the had.
I'm sorry this dead horse is getting so damaged. If you pay somebody to do a job, why pay somebody else to do the same job?
The Dealerships own body techs noticed upon opening the hood that ALL of the bolts and nuts holding the fenders and hood had been removed, because the paint seal was broken. When I asked at my pre-purchase inspection, the SalesWeasel replied "they are all like that". GM and by extension their Agents are more qualified than me to access this sort of thing.
And no, the moral of the story is don't trust ANY used car weasel, even if a major manufacturer (and now the U.S. government) says they "Certify".

Last edited by donbrew; 01-11-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
I am NOT a expert, but I think "safe parts" means non GM replacement parts. Re-run Carfax. You have already replaced tires at 16K? I could have gotten 60K if I had tried.
I would agree the Labels should be GM with the VIN # on them as well..(least mine do).

As to tires, depending on driving habits/conditions & keeping proper air pressure & rotating. These all play a part in tire longevity, or lack there-of..

And perhaps a 4 wheel alignment is what's needed..