General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What is the stupidest design error?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 AM

Talking To Michelle, GM CSR

How about a Cruze platform based HHR? There is still a market for a cool retro styled vehicle like this, especially if it's advertised and marketed correctly. Let Bob Lutz work on it, lol.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Budster
And then there is the design of the water divert-er under the front cowling that when broken allows water to get into the cabin via the cabin filter and also gets the blower switch and resistors wet that causes them to go bad, that causes you to have them replaced (luckily for me under warranty), not to mention the wet carpet....... *sigh* GM
Just recently I started to get a musty smell in the cabin after it rained. I guess I need to check my carpet for wetness. This never happened before in the 3 years I've owned it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM

This just came to the top of my list , Lately I been having Exhaust tip envy why does my LT 2.2 have a 2" Billy Barty exhaust tip
Old 09-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by molecule
This just came to the top of my list , Lately I been having Exhaust tip envy why does my LT 2.2 have a 2" Billy Barty exhaust tip
Because you didn't pay extra for it. GM must not think that their economy 2.2L engine deserves any farkles.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:25 PM

"Stupidest" is superlative. Are we all going to vote on one eventually?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM

not sure if its been mentioned but i keep seeing people complain about not being able to put the donut on the front. really not supposed to use donut spares on drive wheels.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SCE_HHR
not sure if its been mentioned but i keep seeing people complain about not being able to put the donut on the front. really not supposed to use donut spares on drive wheels.
That is only regarding the SS model. The Brembo calipers are simply too large for the spare.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by nacademus
that is only regarding the ss model. The brembo calipers are simply too large for the spare.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SCE_HHR
SCE_HHR is correct, this has been an issue long before oversize brakes. GM rear wheel drive models with Limited Slip Diff's got full size spare standard. Models without limited slip still has stickers stating to put the donut on the front because of the differential. I think the reason HHR spare instructions state to put donut on the back only, is more to due with the vehicle having traction control. I don't know if wheel/tire height difference is enough for wheel speed sensor data to trigger traction control to back off throttle and pulse brake caliper, but I'm not going to try it.

Yeah, yeah, a donut is supose to only get you to the nearest tire shop, but if you live in redneckville like i do, you'll see the same car with a donut on it for over a year. The warning sticker is to cover GM in the case of a donut being left on to long while vehicle is still under power train warranty. GM will look for anything to give them an out on covering a repair. Just ask all the Caprice, Impala, Roadmaster, and Fleetwood owners who's rear axle got the wrong diff cover gasket installed at the factory, which blocked off the oil flow to the outer bearings. Over 1,000,000 complaints from owners with rear end full of metal shavings. State of Maryland sued GM for there fleet of police/govt cars. GM never paid one penny or fixed any of them. I had to buy low mileage junk yard rear end from a 20k mile Impala SS and change the gasket before swapping it into my 75k mile 96 SS.

Does anyone know if a full size spare will fit in the HHR rear compartment?

My 92 Saab had traction control and came with full size spare from factory, but the spare compartment cover wasn't designed for it and wouldn't close all the way. It was first year for the aero trim, 16" wheel configuration on the 9000 turbo and I guess redesign of the depth of the spare wheel compartment came next year model, lol.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Deceased

"Does anyone know if a full size spare will fit in the HHR rear compartment?"

Well its a yes and no type of answer. Yes you can carry a full size spare back there, but it isn't designed to carry one. While you can put a full size tire back there after having a flat, they even give you a strap thingy to hold it down, you loose the underfloor storage basket gadget.

So if your prepared to do some adaptation and live without the underfloor storage, you can have a full size spare, I'd just locate a longer tie down bolt rather than rely on the nylon strap intended for temporary use.

Quick Reply: What is the stupidest design error?