General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

What's next for HHR and other Chevy's

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Desert Coyote
1 - many of the customers who had expressed interest in EV1 backed out when the car went into production. (out of 100 produced, only 40 ever went to customers on a lease basis)
One of the sales reps that my company does business with drives one. I didn't know they are so rare.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:31 PM

After wondering what the EV1 was, I found this Wiki article. Good reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1
Old 08-04-2007, 07:39 PM

HHR rules

I posted the following at another automotive forum.

QUOTE(xxxxx @ Aug 2 2007, 08:00 AM)
HHR should die. PT is dying. Just buy a VUE or Equinox instead.

The HHR sold almost 13,000 vehicles last month. The Cobalt sold just 2000 more and the Impala much better at 21000. Of course the Silverado and Sierra sold more. However no Epsilon mid size car sold more than HHR. No Lambda sold more than HHR. No Pontiac, Buick, or Saturn sold more than HHR. No Epsilon sold more than HHR.

HHR should die.

Why again?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Actually, I think a five year run is about right. Look how played out the PT is now. The key in the auto industry now is inovation. Actually it has been for a while.

:
while I agree with you that new is in the auto industry these days, the PT cruiser is not played out. For the month of July the PT cruiser outsold every Chrysler save the 300, every Jeep except for the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee, and every Dodge (including the brand new Caliber) except for the Dodge Ram.

The PT cruiser is entering its 8th year of sales.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:37 PM

I think the sales of PT and HHR also speak to the fact that people don't feel like paying almost 30K for a car, when they can get much of the same functionality and quality for little more than half that-- HHR & PT.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Desert Coyote
"Who Killed the Electric Car?" only gives you one side of the story. GM's reasoning was more than just some sort of shadowy conspiracy with the oil companies:

1 - many of the customers who had expressed interest in EV1 backed out when the car went into production. (out of 100 produced, only 40 ever went to customers on a lease basis)
2 - most municipalities were either unable (or in some cases, unwilling) to install the recharging infrastructure needed for recharging the EV1.
3 - due to little interest in even leasing the EV1, parts manufacturers refused to spend the money to build tooling for replacement parts for them. Even if an EV1 had lasted to end-of-life, this lack of replacement parts for repair purposes would have made driving one a dicey proposition. (hence the reason why leasers were unable to buy back their EV1's)

Basically, a lot of money was spent on the vehicle, but in the end the consumers who supposedly demanded the vehicle were unwilling to come to the table when the vehicle was made available. No stable business is going to produce a commodity with next to zero demand.
Actually, I thought the movie was pretty fair when it came to spreading the blame around for the failure of not only the EV1, but also Honda, Ford, and Toyota's EVs. Of course, it was also very liberal-biased when it came to the politics of the issues, like showcasing Carter and Clinton administration officials who were "right" about electric cars.

I think the big problem GM had with EV1 was the sheer amount of money they spent developing the project to only produce 100 cars. They leased each car for about $30k, but given the development and production costs, each car was worth about $1 million to GM.

Anyway, I just think it says enough when the battery company that finally developed a 300-mile range battery pack is bought out by an oil company...
Old 08-05-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
\Anyway, I just think it says enough when the battery company that finally developed a 300-mile range battery pack is bought out by an oil company...

Was this in the movie? If so, I want to rent it. Until the day comes, when we can tell the Middle East to kiss our collective-a$$es, we will be forever enslaved to the oil industry and the 3rd world countries that hate us.

As far as GM goes on the restylings, while the Corvette never seems to lack buyers, I'm personally growing tired of that car. It's become a rich-man's toy. Chevrolet was never a rich-man's brand. $100k for a Chevy? Excuse me while I puke. I'll take a fleet of 5 HHR's for that! And, if they're going to re-style the HHR, they might as well just kill it. The HHR is not a Camry.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
One of the sales reps that my company does business with drives one. I didn't know they are so rare.
How could that be? I saw the movie and it looked like you were stalked by goons until you gave up your car to be smashed.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mitzkity
How could that be? I saw the movie and it looked like you were stalked by goons until you gave up your car to be smashed.
Maybe he doesn't any more or something. I haven't seen it in a while but he has or had a red one. If I see it in our lot again I'll snap a pic. I'm not crazy.....I swear he drives it.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

One EV1 owner sued and successfully retained his car under condition that GM was totally released from liability for replacement parts and defects present in the stream of commerce, meaning if you wrecked your car and hurt or killed yourself or someone else, you take all the responsibility including indemnifying GM against a product liability suit by a third party. A *huge* concession for anyone. Some were disabled and donated to museums like the Peterson.

Yes, the battery company buyout is in the movie. It was a private company that Delco bought--then it was sold to one of the oil companies shortly before the EV1 program was scrapped.

Quick Reply: What's next for HHR and other Chevy's