General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Where the factory part is better!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM

The funny thing with plugs are that I have learned over the years some cars will just not run right or will run better on certin brands of plugs.

I have had Honda's that run like crap till you put a NGK in. We put a set in a Civic that was running fine but then it ran like cap on the new plugs. A Import mechanic said put a set of NGK's in and it will run fine. I thought he was full of it but we did and it ran fine.

Also seen many of the older Chryslers work better on Champions.

I believe based on what I have seen that some ignitions are just tune to some plugs and if you go away from them it can effect performance.

GM cars for the most run well on about any plug. But to be safe I stick with Delco in them. I have run the NGK's too with no issue.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by sdafins
I agree most OE tires are not great. I believe one reason is the desire to install tires with a low drag coefficient to provide better fuel mileage. Though these fuel miser tires are improving, most do not handle well and ride poorly. What I find interesting is they don't last very long either.
This is true with some tires on hybrid cars. There is one that handles very well with very good traction and has good tread life is the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max. These are the real deal and they work as advertised. They are not cheap but many OE MFG are willing to pay more for them as they really do add to the mileage and do not hurt the cars handling in anyway. I know they OE on some Prius and they are standard on the Volt.

The Bridgestones on the little Honda Electric car from a few years ago really lived up to the stone in their name. People here has to change them out as in the cold and snow they went no where.

Compounding has really advanced these tires and much of the technology will be applies to many other tires even performance applications.

Tires are pretty high tech anymore and most people have no idea.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Those chinese liners are horrible, managing a bodyshop I absolutely hate to see them used. No structural integrity at all in that plastic.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM

We had two import fenders from China on a Old Fixer upper. On fit like GM's there other fit like it was for a Ford.

Not everything from China is junk if it was it would be easy to tell what is good and bad. Today much of it is a good mix of both good and bad.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 PM

what is the consensus on the BEST plug to use performance wise? I dont care if I have to change them every 15k (copper plugs) but I have always been told that copper creates a better spark....so what I am seeing is AC Delcos seem to be the best, if I am right on the copper deal (if not please tell which is best) does AC Delco make a copper plug for our cars?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Deceased

The Ecotec engines were designed around the Delco plugs fitted as OEM equipment, lots of folks here have experimented with results ranging from disappointing to damaging when they have used other brands.

You should only use AC Delco Iridium/Spark Plugs Part Number: 41-108

Copper cored spark plugs are still manufactured, but their use these days is primarily limited to older vehicles and small engines. They do not work well with modern ignition systems, excessive and premature electrode wear, and damage to the ignition system itself are both possibilities if copper cored plugs are used in vehicles like the HHR.

AC Delco does not manufacture a copper cored plug for the HHR.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 AM

Copper plugs are OK in an NA engine. I used them all the time when I was competing with my last car (Subaru-engined Saab), and changed them every 10-12K with custom gaps.

HOWEVER... I would not use them in a Turbo engine for fear that they would burn up too fast. They wear faster anyway, and the extremes seen in the LNF motor would make me (copper lover) fearful.

The Iridiums are only something like $20-25 a set vs. $7-8 for coppers. They last much longer, and are less likely to disappear on you - even if you could find one that works.