General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Where to get a crank pulley key?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 03:01 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
They were laughing about their trip to the bank with your money. Why would you even consider having the work done at a dealership?
At 12 years old it would be a good idea for an alignment after ALL of the front end components are replaced. Keeping in mind only the toe can be adjusted and if it was ever aligned in the past it was with worn parts. The alignment gets worse every time it is corrected with wearing parts.
I got that impression, to be honest. I cannot see a good reason for an alignment unless the LCA was worn out at the last alignment. However when I bought the car I had checked them (because I read on this forum that they are prone to failure) and they were still tight, the bushings just getting a bit dried out. So my opinion is that an alignment is not needed with an identical replacement part. If I see that I have alignment issues after the change, then yeah, an alignment might be necessary. But to do it "As part of the process" for the extra 110 bucks is more likely a scam. Darn dealerships. I have a friend here in town that just opened his own shop. If I can't get those rear bolts loose, I'll see if he can help me out.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Replace the LCA’s yourself or with help , I have checked my alignment after changing them and nothing changed, only time it changes is if you get an alignment with bad bushings.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ol-arms-44378/
Thanks! I checked that post out, and it's what I thought, basically. I have watched a few videos on doing it myself, and am prepared to do it. But those dang rear bolts are TIGHT. I tried for over 30 minutes on the passenger side while my son had it in the air working on the timing chain (the first time) and I couldn't budge them at all. Maybe a lot more PBlaster and a longer cheater bar will do it. I hate spending money when it's something I can do myself. I'll let you know. Maybe I'll talk to my ex and see if I can use the garage next week some time. I don't like laying on my gravel driveway in the wet/snowy/cold. Getting too old for that now.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by greg8453
You need to know how to fight back if that's the way they treat you. Grab them by the throat and tell them you are the customer and to find what you need.
It has crossed my mind before...but I hate jail time