General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:05 PM

Question Wires

I was under the front fenders Hoping that GM might have done the logical thing with Fog light wiring, even though My HHR didn't come with Fog lights, I was hoping that the wires would be there, and just capped. But alas no. What I Did find was a pair of wires that were capped, a Yellow, with a second wire, Green with a white stripe. I have seen this same wire setup on several cars. I can find No reference as to what this wire pair might power. Any body have a clue??
Old 08-20-2018, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Can you see it in this wiring diagram

Old 08-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Unless you tell us exactly where that plug is, it would be hard to guess what you're talking about. A good picture would probably help out too.
You should also include your year and model in case someone wants to look it up on a wiring schematic.

FYI..... Yellow wires(or usually the yellow plugs) are something to be wary of. Yellow is generally the color code for the crash/restraint/airbag system wiring. Don't mess around with those if you're not sure what it is.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:22 PM

thx, george

I had the same thought about yellow....

I love this place.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 PM

I bet it's not capped. What looks like a cap is a temperature sensor

hard to tell, you didn't say what year and exactly where.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:18 PM

The wires are in the head light wiring harness, at the very end, Within 4 or 5 inches of the leads for the fog lights, and the fender marker lights. There is a plug on the wires, and a factory cap on the plug. It is firmly attached to the frame work. The car is a 2008 HHR LS
AH Huh... I just saw the post from Donbrew, and That is it for sure. I did a search for the Ambient Air Temp Sensor, and THAT is it. Thanks All.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Hello, you some time ago answered my question about an anonymous lead in the head light wiring harness, and thank you so much for that. It was Indeed the ATS lead. In that answer I saw you posted a picture with wiring information. Where did you find that info? It looks to me like it was Probably from a factory tech service book. I have been all over the web, in my Haynes repair guide, and in Alldata, and I can find very little wiring information, and what IS there is magnifying glass size, and there is darn little of that. One of the things I have been looking for is the wiring to the cruise control switches. I find Nothing any where for those.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:51 PM

They are in my AllData.

What about the cruise control switches could help? It is a one wire system with a ref and resistors.

I bet your real question is: my cruise control won't engage. I will further bet that you had no idea that the center high mounted stop lights must be workin for the crfuise to work; if the bulbs were replaced with LEDs then load resistors must be installed.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:02 PM

the cruise works just fine, the switch pack has a half dozen wires leading to it. I am thinking the 4 buttons that work set, reset info and one more Should be lit from underneath. I have tried 3 or 4 different switch packs, I don't know if there is an led under these buttons or not, but hitting the right button in the dark is a chore. I would Think that they would be lit. I would like to find a diagram to check. I have given up on the radio lights, they flash on for a second when the car is started, and then go out on of my Only beefs with my new HHR.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Instead of those switch packs you've tried, you should check the light dimmer switch on the dash.

Quick Reply: Wires