General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Wires

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 06:48 PM

Great, that upgrade sounds easy, and it sounds like I have everything I need. The wiring harness was a real pain to get out, but it came out with no damage. Looking forward to the controls on the wheel. Thanks :)
One last question, how do you get a picture under your log in name. My rig is a 2008, and is the same color as yours :)
Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Premium membership is needed to put an avatar picture under your user name. And it's available for the mods and administrator.
I think every member can put a picture in the other spot where your post is.
( Oh yeah. Remember, I said dimmer switch. )

Old 09-21-2018, 08:09 PM

You were for sure right, it seemed to work ok, but because this car is new to me, I just don't know Everything about what it is suppose to do. In any case, Even though the spare I popped in seems to be ok, a new one was not that expensive, so one from AC Delco is On the way.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 PM

It is a sticky in the how-to area. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...gnature-53132/

It was the parking light fuse. It is a somewhat convoluted circuit. And you have been driving around with no tail lights.

Now I remember that we found out a couple of years ago it is one of the tricks GM uses to tell the driver the tail lights are out. I had assumed you checked the fuses first. Of course, now you need to find out why the fuse blew.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:38 PM

I was shocked when one of my coworkers told me I had no tail lights. I just recently purchased this car from a reputable GM dealer. The first things I checked were the relay, and the fuse. Fuse bad I Could put in a 1000 amp fuse in and usually that will let you know, just watch for the smoke... LOL If the new fuse blows I will probably put in a a circuit breaker, and start a Much more intense search than the normal once over I did. It is not impossible I might have caused the problem while I was checking to see if the fog light wiring was hiding in there or not. (was Not) The car had 77.000 miles, and was a 1 owner, and mostly dealer serviced from what I could tell. I really appreciate all the help, Thanks. even though I have been turning wrenches for the best part of 50 years, it was mostly of diesel trucks. As I retired, the trucks became just as digital dependent as the cars of today. Not like the old days, Battery, fuse, switch, light, Smile... now, Battery, computer, switch, light maybe, no smile involved.. : :)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:52 AM

They do the "39 point inspection" sitting at a desk while drinking the morning coffee. One hour flat rate to make 39 check marks. BONUS!!!!

The computer is called "On Board DIAGNOSTIC" because it tells you what is wrong, not because it controls anything. The only thing scary about it is that you have to study or, at least RTFM. The parts that control the mechanical parts of the motor just don't break very often, it is that nobody listens to the diagnostics.

Thins like; the cruise control won't work if the center high mounted stop light isn't working, the radio light is out if the tail lights are out, turn signal rapidly flashing if one is out
Old 09-22-2018, 10:16 AM

I Know, I spent 30+ years working on Navistar, (International) trucks, State Snow Plows . In the old days, if the motor was spinning over, and had fuel and air, it was running. When I retired a few years ago, You couldn't hardly lift the hood with out a laptop, and proprietary software. None of the switches controlled Anything. The switch talked to the computer, and if it asked nicely, it would maybe turn on the lights... Actually glad I retired when I did. I have a tough job now, Shuttle new cars around the northern half of our state. :) Great job for an old codger.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Yes, avatar picture requires Premium Membership, you can put a picture in your signature
Old 09-27-2018, 05:53 PM

Yeah, Checked on the link, popped in the harness, and switch, TaDa, worked first time out. Happy Camper :) Steering Wheel Radio controls.... Thanks for the info