General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

You think an HHR can last this long?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:21 PM

You think an HHR can last this long?

Watch this video and tell me what you think. I think this is really cool: http://news.yahoo.com/video/milwakee...y-old-20858533. It makes me want to keep my HHR forever so I can show it off to people in 50 years, when everyone will say, "Oh, that's a cool little car." Do you think the HHR could last that long?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 PM

depends on how muchmoney you have.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by goetylsd
Watch this video and tell me what you think. I think this is really cool: http://news.yahoo.com/video/milwakee...y-old-20858533. It makes me want to keep my HHR forever so I can show it off to people in 50 years, when everyone will say, "Oh, that's a cool little car." Do you think the HHR could last that long?
Not likely!

Welcome to the GM of today, where you got the absolute lowest price from component manufacturers with problably the lowest quality standards in history.

Want a car that will last??? Or hold value??? Look elsewhere!!

Oh, those Barret-Jackson dreams....
Old 07-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Deceased

How long it will last really depends on the care its given. I've seen two year old vehicles ready for the crusher, and twenty year olds ready for another twenty. The big difference is owner care, drive it like you don't care and it'll show. My father in law doesn't wash his cars, never has washed his cars, doesn't believe in "wasting the time". You can guess that his 18 month old Impala is looking pretty bad with only "rainstorm washes" and parking by feel. As a car guy it makes me sick, but he won't ever change, and I just try to ignore the carnage in the driveway.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:07 PM

She got her money's worth. Especially with all the "lifetime" products that were purchased when the car was new.... who knew 50 years later she is still getting tires, wipers, lamps, oil filters, batteries, alingments, etc. for free!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by JoeR
Not likely!
But possible.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 PM

I have a 56 year old car and a 46 year old car that would be just fine as daily drivers but do not have nearly the safety standards we have today. Really, you can maintain anything mechanical to last 100 years if you want, and you can also let it sit outside near the ocean and have it dissolve into nothing if you so choose.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Agreed c2vette-

My oldest Harley is only 37 years old... But it is kept up...
Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 AM

All the added electronics and safety equipment in the newer cars will make it more difficult and/or expensive to keep them going for 50 years. Not that it couldn't be done, just that it was much easier with an older car than a modern car because of their simplicity.

We're not going to be finding that many real "lifetime" warranties to help out either.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 AM

Anycar can last 50 years or more.

It depends on the how it is used and how it is cared for.

The key is if and when you need to put money in the HHR the questions is does it need more money to care for it than it is worth. That is what kills many cars over the years.

I have a Fiero of all things that just turned 25 years old. It is in like new condition. I even wax the floor pan since I show the car. I bought it new and even have a couple winters in it.

For the most I have invested little in it but also it is just a play car now so the cost are down and I do not need to find rare interiro parts since mine are still perfect.

Besides if I wanted another one many people bought and parked them so I could pick up a low mileage or no mile one easy. I see many HHR's also that are play cars with low miles still being around and for sale in the future. THere are so many they will not all be used up.

Hell I still see a Vega here in the rust belt from time to time still running.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You think an HHR can last this long?