HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

08 SS brakes suck

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 PM

This morning I timed it. 22 seconds to 10 inHg. Tomorrow I will slightly rev the engine and see if I can shorten that time.

I will bet its a 87 vrs 92 octane issue. LOL.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:57 PM

This is just bizarre. If this is really what is happening with some vehicles, I would think GM would be on top of fixing it. I have tried to duplicate this problem and can't, I definitely have full braking on start-up, including after sitting for a week. Just don't get why it is random with some cars. No such thing as magic, there must be a rational reason. and therefore a fix.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by c2vette
No such thing as magic,
Then what is this stuff for?

Old 09-18-2008, 11:07 PM

Happens on mine everyday........I park on an incline and if try to back out to soon the pedal goes down and gets really hard.......It will stop but I have to push real hard!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:12 PM

I have the auto and always let my car idle for awhile before driving as I was taught before I was of driving age. I also let my HHR sit for 3-4 days between driving at times. I have never had any problems with the brakes (hard pedal or pedal to the floor).
For those who have the problem does the brake pedal go to the floor when you press on the brake pedal to put the car into reverse or drive? Or does it the brake pedal go to the floor after being put into a gear?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by c2vette
This is just bizarre. If this is really what is happening with some vehicles, I would think GM would be on top of fixing it. I have tried to duplicate this problem and can't, I definitely have full braking on start-up, including after sitting for a week. Just don't get why it is random with some cars. No such thing as magic, there must be a rational reason. and therefore a fix.
Losing pressure overnight through a slow IC tube leak?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:46 AM

The intercooler is not pressuriezed if the engine is not running. As soon as the engine is off the pressure drops leak or no leak.

The brake booster loses pressure once the engine is off and takes time to built with low engine vacume build up.

I get with mine a hard pedal and I can feel the anit lock system assisting. Mine is doing just as the GM tag on the glove box said it would do.

It is an odd feel but nothing dramatic.

GM is on this but it takes time to make a repair, test it and get the part made. They already have a problem and they need to get it right so it will take a little time.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:07 AM

HyperV6, what do you mean its nothing dramatic, I've got 2 small children in this car 99% of the time. It takes all I've got when I'm backing down my driveway to bring the car to a stop and several times have actually slid on down into the street. How much more dramatic can it get.....a wreck?

This is not something that needs to be taking time, this should already be a recall.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 7m34life
HyperV6, what do you mean its nothing dramatic, I've got 2 small children in this car 99% of the time. It takes all I've got when I'm backing down my driveway to bring the car to a stop and several times have actually slid on down into the street. How much more dramatic can it get.....a wreck?

This is not something that needs to be taking time, this should already be a recall.
My statment is for my vehicle not anyone elses. I have drived cars with worse brakes than what MY SS issue is. I also have a hill and a 7 year old and I do not fear for any of our lives as I have seen worse than what I have.

With that said your case may be worse but I have not driven your SS nor have you driven mine. My statement had nothing to do with you or your SS nor was it directed at you.

The bottom line is GM has a part in the works and is moving to resolve it. Recalling it now would end up with HHR's sitting at dealers and no parts avaiable.

As for the repair things in the Automotive world do not move as fast as you are expecting. Many times if the repair is not done properly it may make a bad thing even worse. Also getting parts made and suppliers to make the parts also take time.

If this was an easy fix of just a simple leak we would get a new clamp and be on our way. As it is they are making a vaccume pump to make a proper repair and it is a little more involved.

The bottom line is GM is working on the fix and a recall would serve no pourpose at this point. You can't fix something untill the part is available.

They are making a system in a few months that normally would get a year to sort out.

I understand it is difficult for you right now but there is little you can do but let it run till the vaccume builds up before you leave in the AM.

The goverment will not get involved as long as GM admits there is a problem and is working on it. Once they get a proper tested repair the TSB will go out and they will fix it under warranty.

I don't mean to be harsh but I work in the Automotive part field and know how long it takes to make and test parts. You don't know how often I wish things moved faster too.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:51 AM
XXL

Originally Posted by 7m34life
Want to make sure your kids are safe? Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA? The government doesn't issue recalls without complaints.

this is a link

Quick Reply: 08 SS brakes suck