HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Is 89 octane ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:08 AM

Is 89 octane ok?

Ok I know that premium fuel is recommended and regular is ok to use, but would middle grade at 89 octane be OK?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:09 AM
jx3

Yes, its fine.

Originally Posted by DMcGrew
Ok I know that premium fuel is recommended and regular is ok to use, but would middle grade at 89 octane be OK?

If 87 oct is ok to use then how could 89 oct not be?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
Yes, it's fine.
Nuf said
Old 01-13-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
If 87 oct is ok to use then how could 89 oct not be?
I've never had a car that needed anything other than regular. I'm just making sure. Last thing I want to do is ruin a brand new HHR SS.

to you too, punk.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:25 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by DMcGrew
I've never had a car that needed anything other than regular. I'm just making sure. Last thing I want to do is ruin a brand new HHR SS.

to you too, punk.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:30 AM

Here's what others had to say SS First Fill Up.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:24 PM

If your going to use lower octance on a higher performance engine then you would have been better off running the non-ss version of the HHR. Boosted engines need the higher octanes to prevent pre-detonation. Higher performance engines in general run at higher compression ratio's to get those extra HP's of performance. The whole point of getting the SS was to get those 260hp's. Now you have the performance and your going to cheap out and hope that the lower octane doesn't pre-detonate. Believe what you want to believe, but the fact is Octane is gasolines ability to resist predetonation. On the compression stroke the fuel can explode before the spark plug does its job. This causes major stress on an engine as its fighting against everything else and can even cause damage. On lower octane cars the car has been tuned, tested and run many miles to work with the required fuel. In performance cars the same is true except they know that not ever where has the same fuel octane or even availability (IE California has 91 max octane while NY has 93). So when the computer detects pinging (pre-detonation) and finds that it is happening more then allowed it will reduce performance to protect the engine. I know in the LS1 and LS2 and probably the LS3, that GM produced everyone of them had this ability. Now you have a tiny 2L boosted engine. Its creating more then normal cylinder pressure, pushing way more air into the cylinder which allows it to dump even more fuel into the cylinder which allows it to create more power.

Now you can take the risk, lose some power, possible lose some MPG's as the burn in the cylinder may not be as efficient and lose some of the protection a boosted engine needs. Your also only saving $3.00+ on a 16 gallon fill up (regular to premium).
Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, Razinhell....

Thanks for that post.

You apparently know about fuels and confirm what a few other members have said, but many others don't believe.

Because you are specific in your statements I believe you have some credentials. Would you care to reveal them??
Old 01-13-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Ok, Razinhell....

Thanks for that post.

You apparently know about fuels and confirm what a few other members have said, but many others don't believe.

Because you are specific in your statements I believe you have some credentials. Would you care to reveal them??
I have no credentials just read up a bunch of books on Octane because too many people spout crap about fuel and octane. I got my start from an old Reader Digest book everything about Auto maintenance. I forget the title, but it described everything is detail. Hell it broke down tires and showed every layer and piece that went into just a tire and how it helped the tire itself. The rest i see from ls1gto.com where i've come across a lot of people who've gone out and went beyond the stock motors and really see where they can take it.

This is also a good website for info
http://science.howstuffworks.com/gasoline3.htm
What is octane?
If you've read How Car Engines Work, you know that almost all cars use four-stroke gasoline engines. One of the strokes is the compression stroke, where the engine compresses a cylinder-full of air and gas into a much smaller volume before igniting it with a spark plug. The amount of compression is called the compression ratio of the engine. A typical engine might have a compression ratio of 8-to-1. (See How Car Engines Work for details.)

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 PM

Razinhell, I agree with you and if I owned an SS would use premium but that wasn't the question. Chevy only recommends premium but doesn't require it.

Quick Reply: Is 89 octane ok?