HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Is 89 octane ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:59 PM

DO NOT run anything lower than premium in a boosted car!!!

In fact, try to find 93 or above.

I can't believe that Chevy only "recommends" premium. The lower octanes will lead to accidental detonation under heavy acceleration - engine go BOOM. Talk to some turbo guys on-line & ask them.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:00 PM

given the known info you would think Chevy would pretty much require it.
Maybe if you want to drive the HHR SS like you had an egg under the throttle perhaps you can get by with less octane. But esp. if youre going to be blipping that boost gauge a lot, then premium would be a must I would think.

I never even consider regular gas with my LS1 Z28. I tried it once and didn't like how it ran so that was it for me on cheap gas. Never again.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:30 PM

oh, some people make me laugh. they pay over $25k for a brand new high performance car and want to save $3 at the gas pump. if you can afford a new car, you can definitely afford premium gas. don't hurt your engine.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:41 PM

detonation isn't worth saving .10 per gallon...

the only reason that some of you may be getting away with it right now is due to the lower temps... once summer comes along you'll be finding a very different thing indeed.

put premium in it - with all that extra pressure you'll need the slower burning gas to help with timing... and more timing = more power (usually).
Old 01-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by monza
detonation isn't worth saving .10 per gallon...

the only reason that some of you may be getting away with it right now is due to the lower temps... once summer comes along you'll be finding a very different thing indeed.

put premium in it - with all that extra pressure you'll need the slower burning gas to help with timing... and more timing = more power (usually).
Exactly, your talking about $1.50 more per fill up with premium vs midgrade. For that matter is only $3.00 more per fill up vs regular. It's not even worth debating.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM

I did the math, and it is actually cheaper for me to run premium. By the time I figure out the cost of reduced MPGs over a tank of gas, it costs me more to run 87 than 93.

I have run tanks of each octane in summer and winter. Each time, I notice better high-end power and 1-2 mpg better with 93 octane. If I'm getting an extra 15-30 miles per tank with 93, then the $1.50 more I spend for the gas is less that the extra 87 it would take to go those extra 15-30 miles.

BTW, GM does recommend at least 91 octane for the 2.4 and the 2.0 in the SS. Why compromise? People spend way more for synthetic oil and/or change the oil more frequently than recomended, why not pony up the extra $1.50 and get better performance?

I do have to say that my HHR never ran bad on lower octane and my wife insists on running 87 in her HHR with a 2.4.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:58 PM

93 until razor makes a kit for the ss
http://www.alkycontrol.com/?ref=turbobuick
Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Razinhell
If your going to use lower octance on a higher performance engine then you would have been better off running the non-ss version of the HHR. Boosted engines need the higher octanes to prevent pre-detonation. Higher performance engines in general run at higher compression ratio's to get those extra HP's of performance. The whole point of getting the SS was to get those 260hp's. Now you have the performance and your going to cheap out and hope that the lower octane doesn't pre-detonate. Believe what you want to believe, but the fact is Octane is gasolines ability to resist predetonation. On the compression stroke the fuel can explode before the spark plug does its job. This causes major stress on an engine as its fighting against everything else and can even cause damage. On lower octane cars the car has been tuned, tested and run many miles to work with the required fuel. In performance cars the same is true except they know that not ever where has the same fuel octane or even availability (IE California has 91 max octane while NY has 93). So when the computer detects pinging (pre-detonation) and finds that it is happening more then allowed it will reduce performance to protect the engine. I know in the LS1 and LS2 and probably the LS3, that GM produced everyone of them had this ability. Now you have a tiny 2L boosted engine. Its creating more then normal cylinder pressure, pushing way more air into the cylinder which allows it to dump even more fuel into the cylinder which allows it to create more power.

Now you can take the risk, lose some power, possible lose some MPG's as the burn in the cylinder may not be as efficient and lose some of the protection a boosted engine needs. Your also only saving $3.00+ on a 16 gallon fill up (regular to premium).
This statement is totally correct. Boosted engines such as the SS should ALWAYS have HIGH octane gasoline. I have seen the piston and engine damage that can and usually will be caused, when it is not used. And as far as the non-boosted engines it's a performance issue only. Our 2.4L runs just fine on 87 octane. If I feel like having some fun and do some hard driving, I will spend the extra cash on 93 octane, otherwise I buy the cheaper gas. Don't roll the dice on the SS, go for the highest octane you can get.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Razinhell
If your going to use lower octance on a higher performance engine then you would have been better off running the non-ss version of the HHR. Boosted engines need the higher octanes to prevent pre-detonation. Higher performance engines in general run at higher compression ratio's to get those extra HP's of performance. The whole point of getting the SS was to get those 260hp's. Now you have the performance and your going to cheap out and hope that the lower octane doesn't pre-detonate. Believe what you want to believe, but the fact is Octane is gasolines ability to resist predetonation. On the compression stroke the fuel can explode before the spark plug does its job. This causes major stress on an engine as its fighting against everything else and can even cause damage. On lower octane cars the car has been tuned, tested and run many miles to work with the required fuel. In performance cars the same is true except they know that not ever where has the same fuel octane or even availability (IE California has 91 max octane while NY has 93). So when the computer detects pinging (pre-detonation) and finds that it is happening more then allowed it will reduce performance to protect the engine. I know in the LS1 and LS2 and probably the LS3, that GM produced everyone of them had this ability. Now you have a tiny 2L boosted engine. Its creating more then normal cylinder pressure, pushing way more air into the cylinder which allows it to dump even more fuel into the cylinder which allows it to create more power.

Now you can take the risk, lose some power, possible lose some MPG's as the burn in the cylinder may not be as efficient and lose some of the protection a boosted engine needs. Your also only saving $3.00+ on a 16 gallon fill up (regular to premium).
A voice of reason. It's ok to run 87 in an emergency, but not continually.