HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Advice from you current owners I'm looking at a specific vehicle and have some questi

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 04:33 PM
Jit

Advice from you current owners I'm looking at a specific vehicle and have some questi

Hello everyone. I'm in the market for an SS and I've been re-reading all of the posts here and have gotten some great advice from some people I found one I'm very interested in but I had a couple of specific questions for you all it appears to be pretty unusual in that it's a 09 quarter panel with the 5-speed but the VIN number is 0 0 0 0 1 6 so I think that makes it a pre early production quarter panel. Here's the issue and the question for you all it has 161,000 miles on it it starts up fine but I hear what I would say on older cars would be a little bit of a valve tappet noise does go away after a little bit but each time I started it it did the same thing and then it went away that's the first question do you think that is something that's worn or is it something specific and common to the HHR. The second question is this there is a sound coming from the right side of the engine next to where it says turbo on that top piece that almost sounds like what the air conditioner compressor sounds when it engages and disengages sort of that spinning cylinder head sound but it kept going in and out in and out in and out in and out never stopped I did not have the air conditioner on so it's not I know it's not that. But I'm wondering what's over there is there like is it a fuel pump maybe sound or something I'm not very familiar with this specific vehicle. Mileage is 161000 so lot of miles but appears to have been taken relatively good care of any advice is appreciated before I make an offer it also has something that came up in the display where the gauges that says ESC or ECS need service is that smog equipment? Thanks
Old 04-20-2019, 04:55 PM

Question 1 You are probably hearing the timing chain. With that many miles I would think so if it was never replaced before.
Question 2 ?????
Question 3 Read post number three on this subject of ECS
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...hat-ecs-17123/
Old 04-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Technical Moderator

Pretty sure it us ESC; electronic stability control. Usually something simple like a pending code.

The serpentine belt and tensioner, the alternator, could be making noise. If the defrost was on the AC was running with no notification.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Administrator

The second question, right side as in drivers side, there’s a HPFP there on the turbo. That is normal to heard that clacking noise .

Some info

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...-issues-43755/
Old 04-20-2019, 06:29 PM

That gives me a headache. Long post, speech-to-text, no breaks.

Sorry, don't like to be critical, folks should try to read their posts before they actually post them.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:34 PM
Jit

I have limited close up sight. It is so bad i rely on speech type...
Hope you understand...
Old 04-20-2019, 06:40 PM
Technical Moderator

If you insert breaks after sentences or paragraphs it is easier to read. At least with this forum's fonts.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Jit

I will definitely try.
I really like the HHR and this is a great forum.
Do you have any ideas what those two sounds make?
Do you think the VIN would make it a little bit more collectible it is s500016
It also has two tone interior sunroof and all the bells and whistles.
I've gotten some replies today on the ESC so thank you to everyone who replied. Will advise later just hope it runs okay and passes the smog and I'm definitely going to purchase it
Old 04-20-2019, 08:45 PM

Welcome to the forum. LNF engine is making a lot more noises than your "regular" engine. Post a video of the engine running. I am sure it is hpfp or injectors.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:24 PM
Jit

Ahhha. Hpfp is exactly where I was hearing that sound of a solenoid or something engaging and disengaging so I'm sure that's what it was thank you so much for the information

Quick Reply: Advice from you current owners I'm looking at a specific vehicle and have some questi