HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Brake pad recomendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
............. Make sure you get a set of rotors also, as you should never put new pads on used rotors.
Sorry gotta call ya on that one man. Unless the existing rotors are badly worn or scored to the point that they cannot be cleaned up by refinishing, there is nothing wrong at all with using new pads on used rotors.

As long as the rotors are within specs (not worn too thin etc.), even if the rotors show some minor wear (minor grooving), it is definitely permissable to replace the pads without resurfacing the rotors.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned

Yeah brembos dust but the pads are made by Fedoro which are used on lamborghinis porsches and ferraris... hmmmm ill take some dust for the performance... you guys dont have to
Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

I just threw Akebono ceramics on the old rotors working great and no dust. Figure when the back wear out I'll put all new rotors and pads all around.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:56 AM

I have NAPA Adaptive One ceramics on right now and they work just fine. Plus no dust, yea! Watch that first stop after the car wash though... I do wish the pedal had a firmer feel to it though. Although it might just be the pedal and bracket geometry itself.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 PM

Thanks guys for all the input...I like the idea of low/no dust. I don't have the Brembo brakes. At least I don't think so? Will it say Brembo on the Caliper?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hotrodbob
Thanks guys for all the input...I like the idea of low/no dust. I don't have the Brembo brakes. At least I don't think so? Will it say Brembo on the Caliper?
Yeah the brembos are noticable man and it would say so on the caliper... since you dont have them grab the EBC pads
Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM

As much as I hate to, I will actually side with Aaron on this. Make sure you get new rotors or resurface your current rotors when you switch pads. Mixing and matching pads and rotors with different compounds reduces the effectiveness of the brakes. Brakes don't work purely or pressure, there is also an interaction between the pad buildup (transfer layer) on the rotor and the friction material. Using pad X on a rotor that has pad Z transfer layer on it can cause noise and reduced performance. I'm not a fan of EBC brakes. Hawk HPS are excellent and dust way less than stock, they also last much longer than stock. If for some reason you believe they dust excessively, use Hawks Performance Ceramics. Virtually zerodust and its even lighter in color than the HPS.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Maven
As much as I hate to, I will actually side with Aaron on this. Make sure you get new rotors or resurface your current rotors when you switch pads. Mixing and matching pads and rotors with different compounds reduces the effectiveness of the brakes. Brakes don't work purely or pressure, there is also an interaction between the pad buildup (transfer layer) on the rotor and the friction material. Using pad X on a rotor that has pad Z transfer layer on it can cause noise and reduced performance. I'm not a fan of EBC brakes. Hawk HPS are excellent and dust way less than stock, they also last much longer than stock. If for some reason you believe they dust excessively, use Hawks Performance Ceramics. Virtually zerodust and its even lighter in color than the HPS.
Thanks Maven, most times not wouldnt you agree that most cars now days dont allow for the rotors to be turned; due to min thickness being close to "new" thickness, not allowing for turn down?

I also strongly agree with you on the compound mixing on a used rotor.

HAWK HPS as you stated is a good choice, it is actually the most popular pads that we sell.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Im not an expert on Hawk or EBC i just stick to the stock fedoro pads. Brembos were for sure a good upgrade
Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 PM

You can use new pads on old rotors if the old rotors are not rusted or have edge ridges or is very close to minimum thickness or have excessive LRO (lateral runout). And you follow a "bedding" procedure.

The above is mostly for those who do-it-yourself. Not recommended for any others not knowledgeable on how to check for rusted rotors or edge ridges or minimum thickness. Always review what the manufacturer recommends and then make a decision. The above is only my HO based upon several years of owning and repairing GM vehicle brakes. Love those low dust brake pads, but they don't always give me the braking results I require. Wheels look very nice, but not functional for me requirements.

Quick Reply: Brake pad recomendations needed