HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

CAI and Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 01:28 PM
sae

CAI and Tune

Hey all,

I purchased a red 08 HHR SS a few months ago and it came with an aftermarket intake, (dejon?) which seems to be a crappy design since it's just a tube with a filter sitting unsupported on top of the engine.

It also seems to let in unmetered air causing check engine lights once in a while so it's gotta go.

I wouldn't mind a stock intake because it looks like a decent design that actually gets cool air but haven't been able to find one. I've seen that k&n makes a nice intake with a box but it's pretty expensive for what I'm assuming is minimal gain. I also looked at ZZP's as well as getting a tune up there in MI.
That said are there any options that stand out as far as price to performance?

I'm also looking to get a tune done with the intake, either canned or zzp, unless there's another option nearby or better. Unfortunately I sold my HPT when buying my last car 🙁

Do you guys have any recommendations on a tune? I'm not looking to go to a 3bar or over 20psi really, but it's definitely lacking until 3rd gear, especially compared to my Typhoon. It's DD by my girlfriend and I/we use it on weekends or longer commutes which made me consider the switchable trifecta tune.

Is the zzp intake/dyno tune for around $700 my best bet or should I keep looking for a different intake and go with trifecta or similar?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun
Old 01-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! Check our classified ads , there maybe a stock air filter SS set up listed there.
As for the tune I'll leave that up to the SS owners to chime in!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Technical Moderator

Sometimes the MAF fitting they provide with those tubes is sloppy.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:22 PM
sae

Originally Posted by donbrew
Sometimes the MAF fitting they provide with those tubes is sloppy.
Yeah I noticed the hose connectors kind of just fall out too. I'll hang around and look for a stock intake, still looking for input though!
Old 01-03-2016, 02:42 PM

The stock SS air box and filter works fine. It picks up fresh air from the right side fender outside of the engine compartment. Insulating the inside of the air box with something like Dyna Mat will get you a colder intake charge.
I have the Trifecta tune that you can do data logs and send them to Trifecta so you can get an undated flash file if need be when you modify an engine component.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:28 PM

I can tell you from experience, the zzp intake is the same as the dejon you've already got. That is, it's a hot air intake not bolted to anything. I have the factory ss airbox and pipes im not really using. It did not come with the lid however. If you can't find one the wife might be willing to part with our original. I'm designing a new intake box to house the filter in line, all inside the fender headlight area.

I can't tell you how they are tuning. I have their stage 3 "canned" setup/tune and I'm not happy with it so far. Tuning needs to be done live, with real data. If you are planning on heading over to Michigan your results will probably be much better. I will be doing my own tuning, there's a few bugs I've got to work out.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:35 PM
sae

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
I can tell you from experience, the zzp intake is the same as the dejon you've already got. That is, it's a hot air intake not bolted to anything. I have the factory ss airbox and pipes im not really using. It did not come with the lid however. If you can't find one the wife might be willing to part with our original. I'm designing a new intake box to house the filter in line, all inside the fender headlight area.

I can't tell you how they are tuning. I have their stage 3 "canned" setup/tune and I'm not happy with it so far. Tuning needs to be done live, with real data. If you are planning on heading over to Michigan your results will probably be much better. I will be doing my own tuning, there's a few bugs I've got to work out.

You have a PM! Thanks 👍
Old 01-15-2016, 06:54 PM

Tim (blackTara) may still have a lid.

ss-parts-turbo-etc-garage-sale-54672
Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 PM

Yep, dug it out of the parts pile so I could snap some pics. I have the box, (no lid) intake tube, I have half of the woolly worm. That is, I have the silicon section. You'll need to get a 3" tube to run to the fender. I can make you a lid no problem, and even engrave it with something.

I have no intention of using it. I'm building my own cold air box. The SS is getting an ice cold cooler mounted in the fender! I honestly have no clue what it's worth. It's a discontinued part. So I don't have #3. What's it worth to ya? I was thinking $100. Let me know. I'll get a pic asap if you want. I would make the lid from clear 1/4" plastic, and could engrave it if you'd like. You can pick up the 3" tube in any color from any auto parts store. It would clamp into #9 and you'd have to get the coupler for the fender.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:08 AM

FYI the size of the tube the MAF is installed in is important with a stock tune, if it's larger or smaller that will cause you to throw a code.