HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

CITY driving average milage????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:38 AM

I'm getting 28-29 mpg with mostly hwy driving, and around town 23-24 mpg. Not sure if elevation has anything to do with it, but I live at at elevation of 4,500'.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:19 AM

I you have a 5 speed, I have found that if you short shift at 3,000 rpm's it really helps the fuel economy. It is just tuff for me do ll the time. G.B.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 PM

50 50 city highway and average 24 but i do have a bit of a heavy foot.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gone Blue
I you have a 5 speed, I have found that if you short shift at 3,000 rpm's it really helps the fuel economy. It is just tuff for me do ll the time. G.B.
LOL, 3000rpm in the city?!

That is why your guys mileage is so bad.

Dont be offended by my laughter, I know that you are having "more sprited fun" in the city then I am, and more power (or gas) to ya.

I just always shift 1-3-5, in 5th by the time im at 28-30 mph in the flats. My boost gauge never gets close to positive territory in the city, unless i am chasing/running from something. I have my clucth to the floor it seems like 99% of the time. I essentially coast through cities, just enough gas (under 0 psi) to get 'er going and neutral coast to the next f^&% red light. If the light is long I will sometimes ice-off coast. It helps to hear the radio clearer. Were talking avg speed 22mph type of city.

I know that you all do not want to drive like me, and I want you all to drive however you want

A manual SS gets fantastic mileage in the city, and has teh punch to make any "orange light" i ever wanted. What more could you ask for??
Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 PM

wow i could never drive like that! lol i zip around the city and get 24 mi. on long trips i get over 30 ...
Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 PM

I do most of my driving in NYC and the mileage is not that great at around 17 mpg; I took a nice long road trip with a roof rack and 2 bikes on top and cruised along at around 27 mpg. I love to hit it hard once in a while but usually it makes no sense with the many traffic lights and the congested traffic but I do have a lot of fun!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:40 PM

Silly........I strongly dislike Hypermilers!! especially when they brag about there unsafe driving habits!!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:03 PM

I checked today. 21.2 MPG mostly in town only.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by tomw
Silly........I strongly dislike Hypermilers!! especially when they brag about there unsafe driving habits!!
HEHE, I'm feeling the love again.

I don't brag about good mileage. I just correct members when they say that the mileage from their hhr sucks. It dosent, their willingness to drive efficeint sucks. Don't blame the HHR. Blame the driver. Most are having too much fun at 15 or more psi or 5000 rpm to care. But don't drive like that and complain about paying sunoco.

My driving is excellent.

I have never recieved a speeding ticket. No need to knock on wood for me.

I feel that driving while talking on the cell phone is the next most dangerous act just below driving while under the influence of ANY drug. That is why my neck was ^%%$%^& up for 4.5 months. Some stupid lady tried to talk and drive at the same time.

Anyone on this forum who is legally driving and under the age of 75 has to understand that the most dangerous thing they do everyday is drive their hhr (unless you work in a warzone, on a crab boat etc).

The vast majority of those motor vehicle accidents are cause by drugs, exhaustion, distractions inside and outside the car, poor maintenance, speeding, or your being killed by someone whos is doing the above.

I'd like to see where hypermiling fits into all of this??

I'd like to see where turning off/down the radio and a/c, moving over to the slowlane, concentrating on your DRIVE and surroundings to take full advantage or efficiencies, not answering the cell phone till you arrive at your destination make driving dangerous????

I do nothing that will get me cited, that is why i havent been?
I hypermile infront of dozens of cops...lol
They go around and catch the guys doing 75 in a 60. Doesn't matter if its the "flow" of traffic, that just means that they can choose anyone in that group to pull over...duh

By steping out of the mindless inefficient stampede of people in those other three lanes and tunning in to driving. I feel that i make my drive safer.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss

I just always shift 1-3-5, in 5th by the time im at 28-30 mph in the flats. My boost gauge never gets close to positive territory in the city, unless i am chasing/running from something. I have my clucth to the floor it seems like 99% of the time. I essentially coast through cities, just enough gas (under 0 psi) to get 'er going and neutral coast to the next f^&% red light. If the light is long I will sometimes ice-off coast. It helps to hear the radio clearer. Were talking avg speed 22mph type of city.

I know that you all do not want to drive like me, and I want you all to drive however you want

A manual SS gets fantastic mileage in the city, and has teh punch to make any "orange light" i ever wanted. What more could you ask for??
Why in the world would you buy a vehicle like this if you are never going to get into boost??? 1-3-5!! that is assinine.......You like lugging that engine???
You say you are safe?? How safe are you and how much control do you have of the Car with the clutch in all the time!! Coasting all the time that is just silly!! turning the engine off?? why don't you buy a Prius??
I gave up a 42 MPG VW TDI turbo Diesel to get my HHR SS and with that car I could get better Fuel mileage by accident than you ever got with the HHR SS on Purpose!! My wifes 1996 VW Passat TDI gets 46 MPG in town and 54 MPG on the Highway.........
I am thrilled with my HHR SS and it does everything I expected it to do and if I want to Hypermile I take the wifes Diesel!!

Quick Reply: CITY driving average milage????