HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Cobalt and HHR SS models to be discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by T 20
Sooooo,
Is there, or is there not, gonna be a Panel SS available in 2010???

Mo
No panel SS only the standard panel and the window SS will be offered with the normal LS and LT models.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:19 PM

And GM will become a transportation "appliance" company like Toyota. No spice, no personality, no uniqueness, but at least they'll sell cars to nameless, average Americans.

Gonna miss cars with real character like the HHR. We do have special vehicles. It sets us apart from the average American (or especially Japanese) car owner.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver
And GM will become a transportation "appliance" company like Toyota. No spice, no personality, no uniqueness, but at least they'll sell cars to nameless, average Americans.

Gonna miss cars with real character like the HHR. We do have special vehicles. It sets us apart from the average American (or especially Japanese) car owner.
Do not start that kind of thinking. GM is just now getting everyone to the table that will move them forward.

At that table is now a man who controls the product and marketing. His name is Bob Lutz. He has skipped retirement to help rebuild GM with the money he did not have last time.

He was going to retire when the goverment came in for fear that they only wanted econo boxes. Well they don't and Bob can work his magic to bring us new cars as he did in the past like the HHR. He was told he was crazy and late but with the sales it has had he proved them wrong.

He already anounced the new CTS coupe will be offered with the 556 HP engine. We will see more in due time. The CAFE rules will hurt GM as they will everyone. But as the HHR SS and Cobalt SS have proven 2.0 liters can be effective.

Note he already has the same people who tuned the SS working on the Volt so it will not drive like a Prius or golf cart. They have already said it is like a sports car like drive in the test tune.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by 87silver

I agree with the post above this one.

Besides...where were you in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's?!?!? I wasn't there, but I've seen the aftermath!

Tell you what. Go to the library, and get "Why GM Matters" by William J. Holstein. It's a very good UNBIASED book. I'm reading it now, and am almost done with it. It explains what went wrong, what's to blame, and what GM is doing to fix it.

One other thing. You cant really re-do the HHR. The same goes with the PT Cruiser. How would you go about redoing an old car that is styled to already look like an old car? Besides, the PT Cruiser "fad" happened long ago, and the HHR was already far behind. Think about when the first PT's were made and how popular that was. That was 10 years ago. I'm thinking the majority of people are moving on.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D
oh so you're saying we have one more year of HHR production? But no SS models for the last year? Hmmmm.
That is what the GM Rumor mill is saying. No Panel after 2010 According to the same Folks.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I agree with the post above this one.

Besides...where were you in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's?!?!? I wasn't there, but I've seen the aftermath!

Tell you what. Go to the library, and get "Why GM Matters" by William J. Holstein. It's a very good UNBIASED book. I'm reading it now, and am almost done with it. It explains what went wrong, what's to blame, and what GM is doing to fix it.

One other thing. You cant really re-do the HHR. The same goes with the PT Cruiser. How would you go about redoing an old car that is styled to already look like an old car? Besides, the PT Cruiser "fad" happened long ago, and the HHR was already far behind. Think about when the first PT's were made and how popular that was. That was 10 years ago. I'm thinking the majority of people are moving on.
Very good book as I have it and with what I know of GM is pretty much on the money.

From what I have learned GM should be a lot different than they have been and no they will not be a Toyota style company.

If you have not been watching Toyota is not doing all so well right now.

Hyundia is showing the way with quality cars, great prices and even some fun cars now. GM is working on a similar deal. Yes there will be some boring cars like the new Chevy Spark but there also will be other fun cars.

The fact is the Malibus, Nox and Cruze pay the rent so they can do the fun things.

With Lutz in charge the father of the PT, HHR, Viper, 5 gen Camaro, SSR and V series CTS we have not seen the last of fun. If youy have seen his garagew he knows how to play. Oh he also has a figther jet.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I am not a fan of this and no it does not look like an Aztek.

In person it reminds one of the Dodge Caliper. I am not a fan of it but it is still not as bad as a Aztek.
Maybe you don't see resemblance, but I sure see a similarity in the shape of the rear ends of the two vehicles. I said it reminds me of the Aztek, and that is my subjective comment. In my mind's eye, I see an awkward rear end treatment that looks as if the same guy designed them.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 PM

*While the Aztec may have been a flop, I sure do see quite a bit of them on the roads around here still...
Old 07-16-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
*While the Aztec may have been a flop, I sure do see quite a bit of them on the roads around here still...
Say what you want about the Aztek but unless you've driven one you shouldn't to be too hard on it. Yes, it was different looking and you either loved it or hated it. My wife had one since new (which I took when she needed a minivan) and it ended up being one of the best vehicles I've owned. It was a 2001 and after a while the looks grow on you. Besides that it was probably the most functional and useful vehicles and the interior was pretty darn cool. Most of the people I met that had one won't give it up.

I'd still be driving it now except that mother nature had other ideas (neighbors very large tree fell and totaled it) and now I have my HHR SS as a replacement. I am happy with the HHR, get better mileage, and have more fun with it. However there are still days when I miss that old Aztek when moving around lots of stuff since it had a ton of room in it. The heads up display was slick too.

Hope GM keeps the HHR around for a while longer.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:21 PM

The Aztek was a good vehicle and there was nothing wrong with it functionally. But the styling doomed it from the start.

We looked at a loaded one that went unsold a few years back it was marketed all the way down to $14K new with AWD. We just could not do it and it was all based on styling alone. It drove fine and inside it was not bad. but we just could not see buying a vehicle we hated to look at no matter what the savings.

Quick Reply: Cobalt and HHR SS models to be discontinued?