HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Gauges! Always a fun topic....

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by RocketBuSS
You must be a tech lol. I used to be an Olds GMC Pontiac tech at a small dealer near my house until olds was shut down and the place went out of business... I can recall some of my conversations with service writers and customers themselves where I would literally have to walk away to avoid an arguement over stupid stuff. I can totally see where you would be correct on that statment 150%. Unfortunately for us relatively technically savy people, we now get to suffer the unknown. Looks like even GM got tired of stupid people :-)

I just did an aftermarket tune thru Martin Scott at GMRC and while the tune is incredible, it still isnt certified by GM, therefore I want to keep an eye on my vitals to monitor and prevent a problem that would potentially void my warranty. THAT and also not seizing my turbo or motor would be nice too....
I work in the performance aftermarket.

I just had a case where this guy with a Mustange said he was building a Supercharged 302. Well he said he wanted the best head gaskets you could get. So we sent him the O ring head gaskets. Well he gave them to his Engine shop and they installed them. Well they blew out becuse his expert engine shop did not O Ring the head and block and just installed them anyway.

Well his experts told him it was our fault. [ya right]

We laughted as he is going to put it together without the O Rings and with the boost he is running is going to eat a gasket very soon. Then it will be his fault and he will then have to O ring them anyway.

We see this stuff daily world wide.

I loved the guy from Suadi Arabia that wanted extra traction for his new Z06. He said it just keeps spinning out. He claimed the roads were too smooth.

The worst one years ago I had was the guy who said we sent him the wrong crank for a 383 storker. He told me he was ASE ceritfied and it was all wrong because it hit the block. Well I asked if he had clearanced his block. He claimed he did not have to.

Well I told him I understood he was ASE certified but building a stroker engine is not part of those test nor is it something GM engineered. Once I explained his extra cubic inches came from the longer stroke and walked him through this he was ok and happy. But at first he knew it all and made it even harder to help.

"1 rule when you have a problem and someone is helping you solve it let them help you.

I have been working with customers the last two week to help out but I am glad I no longer do it for my regular job. 98% are great but there is 2% that make you shake you head!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 AM

I think the old pre-3800 Buick V6 might have scared GM away from oil pressure gauges for good.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 PM

I loved the guy from Suadi Arabia that wanted extra traction for his new Z06. He said it just keeps spinning out. He claimed the roads were too smooth.

....You shouldve told him to ship the car here. With his signature on the title.

I personally cannot believe some of the things... Example:

Customer (older woman, you know the type with the fake hair, too much makeup, designer clothes and purse with a little furry dog in it..)
Anyway customer comes in complaining of strange noises coming from the rear of her BRAND NEW (at the time) 2004 Envoy.
SOOOOO as I'm driving around to my bay, I heard the noise. A metallic squeek. Interesting. So I get it in my bay and just as a hunch, I opened the back hatch... And there was a metal dog cage. I took it out, took it for a ride and nothing. No noise. OK cool, maybe this lady forgot she had it back there.

Then comes the argument. As I'm explaining this to the service writer and basically being pissed at him for wasting my time, the lady comes up and with her yuppy ******* attitude starts in with "No, clearly, CLEARLY, you people hire idiots. Listen to it. Its OBVIOUSLY a problem that your CRAPPY vehicles have. I want him to take it back in there and listen to it again. And this time I'M GOING TO SUPERVISE."

OMG lady I'm going to punch you in the head and boot your little dog like a football.

The service advisor tries to calmly explain that all she needed to do was take the cage out. That didnt fly. This woman literally stormed into the shop, well before I even took the car back into the bay... and stood by the dispatcher until she saw her car. She started in on me right away in which I told her its a liability to be in the shop and she needed to leave. (of course the only REAL liability on the line was my job because I was approximately 29 seconds away from giving this lady an earfull of how incredibly stupid she was) So this time, I just simply took the cage out, put it in the front seat, and drove it back to the service writer.

On the back of the S/O i wrote 'dont be alarmed if this lady tells you the car squeeks in front now...'

Idiot.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:56 PM

On the old v-8 engines the oil pressure used to drop on the gauge to below 10 psi when at idle and warm.It was normal but I have heard many complaints because of this.No wonder they dropped their use.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Yes it did , and GM recalibrated the gauge to show that it was higher then it was on later years. I even had a cust. say his last truck always had low oil press. at idle but his new one was better LOL LOL
Old 03-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by RocketBuSS

....You shouldve told him to ship the car here. With his signature on the title.

I personally cannot believe some of the things... Example:

Customer (older woman, you know the type with the fake hair, too much makeup, designer clothes and purse with a little furry dog in it..)
Anyway customer comes in complaining of strange noises coming from the rear of her BRAND NEW (at the time) 2004 Envoy.
SOOOOO as I'm driving around to my bay, I heard the noise. A metallic squeek. Interesting. So I get it in my bay and just as a hunch, I opened the back hatch... And there was a metal dog cage. I took it out, took it for a ride and nothing. No noise. OK cool, maybe this lady forgot she had it back there.

Then comes the argument. As I'm explaining this to the service writer and basically being pissed at him for wasting my time, the lady comes up and with her yuppy ******* attitude starts in with "No, clearly, CLEARLY, you people hire idiots. Listen to it. Its OBVIOUSLY a problem that your CRAPPY vehicles have. I want him to take it back in there and listen to it again. And this time I'M GOING TO SUPERVISE."

OMG lady I'm going to punch you in the head and boot your little dog like a football.

The service advisor tries to calmly explain that all she needed to do was take the cage out. That didnt fly. This woman literally stormed into the shop, well before I even took the car back into the bay... and stood by the dispatcher until she saw her car. She started in on me right away in which I told her its a liability to be in the shop and she needed to leave. (of course the only REAL liability on the line was my job because I was approximately 29 seconds away from giving this lady an earfull of how incredibly stupid she was) So this time, I just simply took the cage out, put it in the front seat, and drove it back to the service writer.

On the back of the S/O i wrote 'dont be alarmed if this lady tells you the car squeeks in front now...'

Idiot.

Good one!

I love the guys who call in and say they lost a lobe of their cam because one lobe was soft. Not like the entire came is not made of the same casting.

Then you ask how he broke it in. "Well we took it up on the 4 lane and hit a lick" But it was the cams fault?

Or THe guys I have who can build a 1,000 HP engine but buy a universal carb and call to complain it will not adjust. THen we ask what did you do. "I just turn the screw on the side" The we ask if they jetted it "No I sould not have to it is new".

We have often taked about writing a book on the people we deal with. Thank GOD most of them know what they are doing but some.....

Then we have the ones who order $12,000 worth of parts [5 amps 3 NOS systems, 2 blowers etc] in Miami and then ask for next day air shipping. Not that we would suspect fraud!!!!

Good thing most of the criminal are stupid.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Good one!

I love the guys who call in and say they lost a lobe of their cam because one lobe was soft. Not like the entire came is not made of the same casting.

Then you ask how he broke it in. "Well we took it up on the 4 lane and hit a lick" But it was the cams fault?

Or THe guys I have who can build a 1,000 HP engine but buy a universal carb and call to complain it will not adjust. THen we ask what did you do. "I just turn the screw on the side" The we ask if they jetted it "No I sould not have to it is new".

We have often taked about writing a book on the people we deal with. Thank GOD most of them know what they are doing but some.....

Then we have the ones who order $12,000 worth of parts [5 amps 3 NOS systems, 2 blowers etc] in Miami and then ask for next day air shipping. Not that we would suspect fraud!!!!

Good thing most of the criminal are stupid.

HAHA! In one of my last days as a tech before our company went out of business we had a guy come in in a 2004 Caddy CTS. He claimed he paid cash for it and was ADEMENT that we trade him even up for a 05' Denali XL because we should quote 'have a going out of business sale'.

The only problem was A) he didnt have the title because B) he stole it from a dealership in Illinois just the night before. It even had the stock tag on the windsheild still because numb nuts couldnt get that glue off. Which, if you ever bought a used car, is a glue that Billy Mayes would recommend.

So yes, most criminals are stupid. Our GM detained him by saying we would 'look into it' for him and called the police.

People do awesome things sometimes... way to go dumbass hahaha
Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 AM

like already posted. Aeroforce gauge is the way to go. I was getting them for $200 delivered now they are I believe $220 delivered. Hyperv6 u still hppy with the Aeroforce I see? I'm glad I got mine no complaints from me....