HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

GM 15938134 SS Auto CV Half Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

aradmahogany - chill!!! There is no reason to throw insults like a few posts back, and get snippy.

You might want to go back and review the thread - this thread is about finding a replacement axle for the Auto SS HHRs (which are not available from GM any more).
Old 02-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jojothetattooboy
I started this thread to find a solution for replacement axles for our HHR SS Turbo Automatics. To solve a problem and to help others, not to start problems... No need for the disrespect on your behalf. These axles were an upgraded version. I'm unclear/unsure how you also assume for sure that these will simply fail by just looking at a picture.
Jojothetattooboy. I for one will say a big "Thank You" for all the hard work and research you have done.( and money spent)
I think some of these critical posts have been done without looking at the whole picture here. True, some cheap junk axles have been known to have boot failures because of the lesser number of folds.
Cheap axles+ cheap boots.
But jojo has gone and had this axle special made. I seriously doubt these folks are going to make a quality axle then top it off with the cheapest boot they could get.
I'll bet the boot is a high quality rubber irregardless of the number of folds.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by aradmahogany
Yes
Go back to page 1 and read the introductory post. It basically states that the OEM GM SS Turbo Automatic axle is no longer available. I found a professional axle shop that was able to build them. The axle shop requested that I send a new one. Thats the entire reason I started this thread..To(luckily)find a new axle, ship it off for measurement and have it reproduced. No one has any way of knowing that the boot on the replacement will split. There is no proof. If it does, the axles are warrantied and the builders/shop have a very good reputation.

When you are ready to order some 2008-2010 HHR SS Turbo axles for your 2006 HHR with 222K call the Driveshaft Shop and request OEM GM boots...if it bothers you that bad......
Old 02-01-2018, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Jojothetattooboy. I for one will say a big "Thank You" for all the hard work and research you have done.( and money spent)
I think some of these critical posts have been done without looking at the whole picture here. True, some cheap junk axles have been known to have boot failures because of the lesser number of folds.
Cheap axles+ cheap boots.
But jojo has gone and had this axle special made. I seriously doubt these folks are going to make a quality axle then top it off with the cheapest boot they could get.
I'll bet the boot is a high quality rubber irregardless of the number of folds.

Just my 2 cents.
Much appreciated firemangeorge. The critical posts confuse me somewhat too. A couple of the HHR Facebook pages I'm on were negative with responses. The most confusing part is that the critical/negative posters have no intentions of purchasing them in the first place. I know for sure there are plenty of people like me that want to do it right the first time...even if it costs a few dollars extra.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks.
Just try to call it as I see it.

And. I don't even have " a dog in this hunt" , so to say. My SS is a 5 speed.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Most just post and don’t realize this thread is about the SS automatic, which has a specific axle, the 2.4 and 2.2 automatic drive axles are different, so they’re comments are simply that a comment.
Thanks to jojo for the efforts to find a replacement axle for the SS automatic.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:18 PM

If anyone would care to go to that company website and look at the pictures of there other axles, it looks like,they are using that style boots on almost all there axles. So if that is the problem area, it would shown up a long time ago. So right now I am just waiting for two things. Feedback from JoJo, and availability of the these axles. The fact that this company even bothered with that product is really surprising, since the market for them will be very,very limited, if any at all.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:18 PM

Who the heck said anything about poor quality components?

I knew the picture was not an HHR, but is shows a broken boot that looked just like mine did. (I could tell by looking at the suspension). The same thing happened to my mother's Mazda when a shop used a replacement axle with that sort of boot. The pair I had were "new" axles, I thought that I was getting a better product for a few bucks more. I have had better success with "rebuilt". P.S.: I got an easy return & refund.

Now this thread is on 9-10 pages people are forgetting to re read the first part.

I was just advising a bit of close watching since I had a bad experience with a boot that had the same number of folds. I never criticized ANYTHING.

Cheez; let's get over that!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:51 PM

Agree, I understood that donbrew was simply giving Jojo a heads up, to keep an eye on it. This really did get a bit out of hand.

Yes, big thanks Jojo, from another dogless manual trans owner. This sort of effort is part of what makes this such a great community!

Well, I do have dogs, but they are also not in this hunt.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Did you say hunt??!!

Little Farley , dreaming of hunting rabbits

Quick Reply: GM 15938134 SS Auto CV Half Shaft