HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Going to test drive some ss's today

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Make the dealer throw in stg-1, especially the auto needs it, a tune can give you 26+ pounds of boost, impossible to stop smiling, and still 28mph
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by chevymanls6454
Well I only got a chance to take one car out and it was a 09 SS manual. IT had Brembo brakes, seven Pioneer speakers and the gauge LCD on the dash. This car they are asking 18880 and it has almost 19000 miles. First thing I really noticed was that this car is pretty small. I parked it next to my Town & Country and it looked minature. When I opened the hatch I really thought the cargo space would have been much bigger but to me atleast comging from a Ford Escape as my work vehicle it seem alittle smaller and the height from floor to ceiling was not very high to atleast stack boxes ontop eachother. That was a small concern, but I kept telling myself well 29 mpg and 260hp... This car had the red accents inside the interior and the outside was silver so that really didn't match but after being inside for a bit it didn't bother me anymore. I was happy that when I sat in the car I didn't feel oversized for the car which has happened while driving smalker vehicles. I'm 5'10'' 210 pretty muscular so my back often doesn't fit nicely in seats (the new camaro sucked) but these seats had the space so that was nice. As I stated earlier this SS had the Pinoneer system with the Sub in the back. I must say though I was not impressed with the sound system. My Town & Country blows it out of the water in sound quality and bass and its an 08. Was there a button to turn on the sub? Another thing about the interior was there is zero storage space that is close enough to get to while driving. The only thing is the glove box. Where do you guys keep all your stuff? Ok now to the drive. The sales guy let me take it out on my own HE HE HE.. SO I gave it a proper test drive. Now from reading all of your posts on power and what not I was expecting something pretty awesome.. Well the power was nice but alot less then what I expected to feel for the seat of your pants feeling. Then again i'm coming from a 450 RWHP Chevelle but even my 03 Ford Escape would surprise you when you punched it and it had less HP. The boost gauge would read 15lbs under full throttle and I will say that when boost came up you started to move pretty impressively but it was deff not a violent acceleration, more of a gradual ok hear we gooooooooo, kind of deal. Even though that was not what I had hoped for I kept telling myself dude this thing get 29 mpg.. Enough of the negative now to the positive.... The handeling was very impressive and responsive. Twitch the wheel and your car is going that way.. I loved it.. I took it on some twistys and I was very impressed. The Brembo brakes stoped the car immediatly. So thats about it.. I'd get the car but i'm trying to get the dealer to hand it over at 18K even out the door.. We will see what happens.. Im going to test drive an auto 2010 fully loaded one tomorrow. Oh yeah teh gauge LCD super cool but distracting as all hell. THe position of makes you take your eyes off the road and for someone like me with ADD all the cool settings and gauges would get me in trouble on a long boring road.. Well thats my review don't beat me up too much...
Sounds like it didn't do that much for you overall. The LNF Turbo Upgrade makes a world of difference...I've had it for quite a while now, so I almost don't remember how it ran before I had it installed. If you decide you really want an SS, you should probably make that Mod #1.

I've heard some complain about the lack of storage (especially with the RPD installed), but how much crap do you really need in you car?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 PM

WHat about the system... Is thte Pioneer system jjust not very good?
This car could deff use less turbo lag.. It feels like a 4cyl and then boom here comes the boost.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:53 PM

This car could deff use less turbo lag.. It feels like a 4cyl and then boom here comes the boost.
I have no issues with my Pioneer system. I'm actually satisfied with mine.

Read reviews and they'll tell you that the HHR SS doesn't really suffer from turbo lag. I've owned a 1.8T 150 HP New Beetle, and a 2.4L 220 HP PT Cruiser GT, and there's hardly any turbo lag compared to those cars. Maybe it was the particular car you drove...not sure what to tell you.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Devils950003
I have no issues with my Pioneer system. I'm actually satisfied with mine.

Read reviews and they'll tell you that the HHR SS doesn't really suffer from turbo lag. I've owned a 1.8T 150 HP New Beetle, and a 2.4L 220 HP PT Cruiser GT, and there's hardly any turbo lag compared to those cars. Maybe it was the particular car you drove...not sure what to tell you.

With a proper dial in , The pioneer is pretty good.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:34 PM

I don't know, I'm kind of getting the impression that maybe the HHR SS isn't the car for you. If it isn't, no harm, no foul...plenty of choices out there, and you'll find the one that truly sings to you in time. I'm guessing you'll know by your next test drive whether or not the SS does it for you.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 PM

The auto will be a letdown after you drove a stick. I know mine was initially.
Then I got the GMPP upgrade. My wife said I giggled like a little boy all the way home. Could not believe the difference it made. Virtually no turbo lag in mine. The 5 speed I drove (no turbo upgrade) had the tires clawing for traction in first gear so I wonder if there was something wrong with that HHR.
It should eat your Escape for lunch...........
Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vcode455
The auto will be a letdown after you drove a stick. I know mine was initially.
Then I got the GMPP upgrade. My wife said I giggled like a little boy all the way home. Could not believe the difference it made. Virtually no turbo lag in mine. The 5 speed I drove (no turbo upgrade) had the tires clawing for traction in first gear so I wonder if there was something wrong with that HHR.
It should eat your Escape for lunch...........
I have a V6 Escape myself (an '07), and yeah, it ain't even close.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:47 PM

Smoked a 2002 mustang mach 1 in 0-60 In the bat ride,
Ford escape , What ?
ninja please !

Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
Smoked a 2002 mustang mach 1 in 0-60 In the bat ride,
Ford escape , What ?
ninja please !

Quick Reply: Going to test drive some ss's today