HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Got my SS today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 PM
TAZ

Got my SS today...

...and I really like it so far. Somehow I managed to put only ~35 miles on it today. Mine is a 2009 SS 5-speed, in silver, with the "Performance Package" and the Pioneer audio option.

I traded my '07 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4x4 for the HHR, and at the same time, bought myself an older ('01) Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 Sport for towing/utility.

I was surprised when the salesman informed me that it requires 91+ octane; I somehow had the notion that premium fuel was only necessary with the GM performance tune/kit I've seen mentioned. (If I'm going to have to run premium anyway, maybe I'll pony up for that kit after all...)

I found a few curves on the way home from dinner; I find the car to handle great. I love the steering and the lack of body roll, although I haven't pushed it very hard at all. I also had no idea the car would come with Brembo front calipers; that's pretty cool! (I don't know if they're on all SS models, or they're part of the "Performance Package".

My only gripe with the exterior appearance is the extra large hood/fender gap; otherwise, I think the car looks pretty good for what is essentially a hopped up grocery getter!

I managed to squeeze in these photos tonight before it got completely dark. I'll aim to get some better ones soon.

- Terry

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 05-11-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Reduced pic sizes. 640 x 480 Max!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Congrats on the new machine! Looks great

The hood-to-fender gap is probably a little more obvious on the silver paint, since it's a bit lighter. I think maybe the shots at dusk + the lighting/flash are making it seem worse too... the hood is kind of casting a dark shadow over the fender.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:33 PM

couple things.

First of all, love the silver in the SS, it is honestly the only way i like the silver (although every color looks better as a SS...), looks fantastic.

Your brembos were part of your performance package, not everybody has them. So lucky you on that one! However, if you want different rims, others have had trouble finding ones that fit over the brembos.

Your hood/fender gap looks unusually large... You might want to check with some others but might have to take it in to have it realigned. It doesn't look right to me at all.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM

Welcome to the site and Congratulations on the new addition to your family ! Sure wished we lived in Delaware and we could get some of those Saweet looking pic's !

Welcome Again,
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by TAZ
I managed to squeeze in these photos tonight before it got completely dark. I'll aim to get some better ones soon.

- Terry
What !! Those are some of the nicer HHR photos I've seen. Can't wait to see better ones.

Nice Grocery Buggy !!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Great pics and welcome to the SS club. I agree that the hood/fender gap looks unusually large. I would have it looked at. Premium fuel is "recommended" but not required. There are some members here who have run Regular. Like you mentioned though, Premium is required with the Stage 1 Kit.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 PM

Hood

From the pic it looks like your hood may not be latched completely, check that first.

Nice ride you'll love it, do add the stage 1 kit, well worth the price.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 PM

another tid-bit, Brembos only come with the Performance Package, which only comes in Standard Transmission.

Welcome!

(get the Stage Kit....it is what truly makes the car have Performance)
Old 05-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Nice ride..definitly go for the upgrade kit..you won't be disappointed!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
TAZ

Originally Posted by Rainman
From the pic it looks like your hood may not be latched completely, check that first.
The hood WAS definitely latched properly.

But your comment got me thinking, so I had a look at the latch mechanism, and after loosening the three bolts on the latch mounting plate, I was able to adjust the latch downwards (towards the bumper). This seemed to decrease the gap a little at the front when the hood was fully closed, but an undesired side effect was that the hood was both difficult to close, and also difficult to open, as the gap that opened after pulling the hood release lever was also smaller.

I adjusted the latch upwards a bit from 'fully bottomed out', and I think it's made an improvement. I snapped some new photos. I think the hood seems to line up pretty well with the door...

Does the hood>fender gap look particularly large in these photos? (perhaps compared to your own HHR's...?)

Quick Reply: Got my SS today...