HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Hhr Ss

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by xtremekirk
THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT, just a question. Is there a reason that the hood insulator was left off? Was is strictly a cost issue or is there some other reason?
From what has been stated on the forum, the thoughts are that you can hear more of the engine noise, because it is an SS and it does have the Turbo. The other is that the Turbo gets really hot and they wanted good air flow around the engine.
Having no insulator is no big thing, I have had many Vettes in the past, that had no insulator, and it was no problem. Some people are worried about the engine noise, and some about the hood paint. The only time you need to worry about the hood paint, with or without an insulator, is when you come home in a rain storm, etc., and you park in your garage. If you leave the water on the hood, or any "flat type" surface, you are asking for trouble, water spots, etching, acid rain, etc., Make sure you wipe down or wash your hood & dry before you eat your dinner. Even when I had the SSR and my other performance vehicles, when I come home in the garage wet or dry, the hood goes up to let "ALL" of the engine heat escape. I have been doing this for years and have never had a hood paint problem. But then again, I am
Mr. Anal.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
From what has been stated on the forum, the thoughts are that you can hear more of the engine noise, because it is an SS and it does have the Turbo. The other is that the Turbo gets really hot and they wanted good air flow around the engine.
Having no insulator is no big thing, I have had many Vettes in the past, that had no insulator, and it was no problem. Some people are worried about the engine noise, and some about the hood paint. The only time you need to worry about the hood paint, with or without an insulator, is when you come home in a rain storm, etc., and you park in your garage. If you leave the water on the hood, or any "flat type" surface, you are asking for trouble, water spots, etching, acid rain, etc., Make sure you wipe down or wash your hood & dry before you eat your dinner. Even when I had the SSR and my other performance vehicles, when I come home in the garage wet or dry, the hood goes up to let "ALL" of the engine heat escape. I have been doing this for years and have never had a hood paint problem. But then again, I am
Mr. Anal.
sweet, I have to leave my SS parked outside so lifting the hood and letting it cool off is not really an option for me unless im outside all day. But I do wash the car at least once a week so that should help with the water spot/etching problems. Nice SS by the way, I like that color
Old 04-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by xtremekirk
sweet, I have to leave my SS parked outside so lifting the hood and letting it cool off is not really an option for me unless im outside all day. But I do wash the car at least once a week so that should help with the water spot/etching problems. Nice SS by the way, I like that color
Thanks for the complement!!! Even if you leave your SS outside, try not to let the Sun bake your hood dry, when wet. If at all possible, at least dry the hood yourself, or if the sun has dried it part way, still wipe down the hood, you don't want a hot hood from not only engine heat, but also from the sun when the hood is wet, especially rain drops. You are only asking for trouble, it will only be a matter of time.