HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

How will the UAW strike affect the HHR SS rollout?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 PM

There is a powertrain in Toledo, Ohio, they are on strike. The plant is under construction for expansion and some of the union construction members walked off because they dont want to cross the picket line. So it is not gonna be cool. Unions are almost like a brotherhood you mess with one, you mess with them all.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
You must not understand the international commerce requirements or laws. Also you are underestimating the power of the Teamsters and UAW, which will effectively (one way or another) prevent the 100 trucks that are approved to move commerce more than 25 miles from the border.

Also, what about the union shops that recognize the UAW strike (or perhaps UAW members themselves).

I think you are being a bit simplistic or adversarial for "cause".
i can find you 10,000 residents in my district that would be willing to to work for half the price UAW and the fact that unions are a dying breed the companies will either hire cheaper labor here or move across the border.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:32 PM

anyone got any salt?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by quest51210
i can find you 10,000 residents in my district that would be willing to to work for half the price UAW and the fact that unions are a dying breed the companies will either hire cheaper labor here or move across the border.
I'm not arguing that point .

I'm arguing your previous statement which is completely "off the cuff" and without any support.

Other than your current statement doesn't support your previous statement .... how are you going to get all these "local" people to pass CDL requirements as well as getting the necessary equipment to transport the mentioned parts FROM THE UNION PLANTS AND MANUFACTURERS .

Do you see what I mean.....you have no merit in your statements.

And don't misunderstand MY position. I am diffinitely NOT supporting the UNIONS in this endeavor.

I'm done....dinner time, here.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 PM

I may just go to mexico and get me a SS, be the frist off the line! lol
Old 09-24-2007, 11:14 PM

My best guess is that the launch will be delayed at least as long as the strke itself lasts. IF not more.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:43 AM

its cool, our Mexican transport trucks will deliver the parts and once again Mexicans will save the day!

I know some people will take this wrong, but I thought it was funny. I don't want the UAW & it supporters upset though.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:38 AM

its cool, our Mexican transport trucks will deliver the parts and once again Mexicans will save the day!
As long as they dont try to deliver in the US, they will do fine.....

Have you ever seen what happens when they hire temps across a big union line?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Good question....and I can't answer that.

But based on history, I don't think so. For example, Ford and Chrysler had continued to produce product while GM had been the strike target. I also believe Toyota, Nissan and the like, have not had any problems.
Lets understand the term strike and how it occurs. In the Unions in North America the NLRB (national labor relations board) has set up very specific regulations for a Union to call a strike. So here's a brief description of the events leading up to the strike.

1. Contract expiration coming near. When a union and an employer enter into a labor agreement it is for a period of time usually in the 3-5 year range.

2. Union calls a meeting with its members that are covered under the collective bargaining agreement and discuss the issues that the members want changed.

3. Union takes list and meets with the employer where they sit and negotiate.

4. After they come to a tentative agreement its brought back in front of the members to accept or reject. If the membership accepts the contract its ratified. If they reject it they take a strike vote. *IMPORTANT* a contract can be rejected by a simple majority, but a strike vote can't pass unless 66% of the workers say NO i wont accept that offer from the employer.

5. The union negotiator goes back to the table and lets the employer know what the result was, and heres the important part. If the employer resumes negotiations in good faith there is no strike!!!!! If the employer says "thats our final offer, strike is on."

Unions don't call strikes, so lets get that clear. The employees working under a collective bargaining agreement do. And its the employers final decision that seals the fate of a strike.

Being a "target" of a strike is not an accurate statement. I just don't want you guys thinking that the union targeted GM for making money.

Yes the strike will affect delivery date on new GM vehicles, and THAT is the point of the strike. It shows that the employees are the ones that make the company what it is and deserve a fair wage.

Little fun fact. US Exec. makes $417 to every $1 that a normal employee makes.

Germany 29/1
Japan 24/1
England 18/1
and so on for the rest of the world. These figures were given to me at a recent class I took. I dont know if they are in the correct order of dollars to country but the numbers are the numbers. US execs are taking advantage of the US worker. Anyway just thought I'd chime in and say HI ALL!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
As long as they dont try to deliver in the US, they will do fine.....

Have you ever seen what happens when they hire temps across a big union line?
My Union has it written into our contract that if there is a picket, a sign, a line, or anything having to do with a Problem with that employer we dont have to cross the line. The Company cant take any action against us either. Recently the Local laborers had a contract dispute with the major highway construction firms. They went on strike. The Operating Engineers respected their picket and we didnt work till the Laborers got their contract settled. When a picket goes up its not only 1 union that you have to consider... Almost all unions are going to honor that line! It shut down construction last year on all roads in Illinois.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How will the UAW strike affect the HHR SS rollout?