HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

How will the UAW strike affect the HHR SS rollout?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:59 AM

From MSNBC (on the UAW strike): “Generally, there will a lasting loss of market share if there is a long work stoppage,” he said. “A week is OK, but a month starts to be problematic. There are other popular vehicles and new cars being launched, so more than a week or two starts to create difficulties for GM’s production schedule.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20957632/
Old 09-26-2007, 12:27 AM

I think the UAW is shooting it's self in the foot with this strike
Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

My thanks to Desert Coyote and cc732

So the only possible disruption would come from direct shipment to the plant !!!! Teamsters will now be the problem.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Teamsters will now be the problem.
Too bad they just can't go away like Jimmy did.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:29 AM

The strike is (already) over!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20978036/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070926/..._ge/auto_talks

I would now guess that the UAW strike will have little to no affect on the HHR SS rollout.

Last edited by misterjensen; 09-26-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 AM
Banned

Little fun fact. US Exec. makes $417 to every $1 that a normal employee makes.

That was not the case 37 ago and there were still strikes.BTW Elected Board members representing stockholders determine CEO pay. Sound familiar?

The average UAW worker earns $70K plus a year. Thats more then the average American family earns together! The average UAW worker has only a HS education... How much is enough? They are already making well over what half families earn. Not including $50 an hour overtime. It's no wonder the US auto companies are in trouble and going over the border for labor. Would YOU buy a car made by disgruntled workers who are taking that much. I hesitated to use the word "earning." A caveman could learn and do many of those Union "tasks" in a week or less.

Sure I would want "job security" if I was grossly over paid too.

Union made used to be a reason to buy.....now it's a reason to pass.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 PM

what do you think about this thought, that the strike, as short as it was, gave Chevy dealer lot inventories two more days to clear out, meaning two more days closer to focusing on 08 models.. meaning two days closer to the HHR SS "taking orders" date?

I know, it's a stretch. But I'm really glad the strike was just two days long.
Common sense and cooler heads prevailed.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 PM

How do you think the settlement will affect their ability to hire new employees. New hires will be subject to lower salaries and benefits. If it were me, I'd be glad to have a job. But I know many generations of families work for the auto industry. Will the children of current workers accept lower pay?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
How do you think the settlement will affect their ability to hire new employees. New hires will be subject to lower salaries and benefits. If it were me, I'd be glad to have a job. But I know many generations of families work for the auto industry. Will the children of current workers accept lower pay?
Would YOU turn down even an $15 an hour job to start right out of High School in today's day and age watching a machine or installing dashboards? And get to buy a new car for less then anyone as well?

Of course they will. No brainer and GM knows it. Kids don't think of medical insurance either and certainly do not worry about getting old. That happens to "other" people.
If they don't there will be a line of those who will. Some may even be from Mexico....
Old 10-04-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
Would YOU turn down even an $15 an hour job to start right out of High School in today's day and age watching a machine or installing dashboards? And get to buy a new car for less then anyone as well?

Of course they will. No brainer and GM knows it. Kids don't think of medical insurance either and certainly do not worry about getting old. That happens to "other" people.
If they don't there will be a line of those who will. Some may even be from Mexico....
King,
The thing your missing is that this is dangerous work. Like it or not its all about big machines and 3000lb cars. A smart company doesn't hire many 18-27 year olds to do these kinds of jobs because statistically they aren't as careful as someone 28-45. And on the other hand over 45 and you become complacent with your surroundings because the "I've done this for 15 years I know what I'm doing." mentality takes over. We just had a huge safety meeting at work about this yesterday as a matter of fact, and a single death on the assembly line, construction site, or any field can cost between $1 million and $10 million. I'd rather have the middle age guy anyway. He's more likely to be on time, and at work every day because hes supporting his family. There is an old adage, " You get what you pay for." It applies to employees also. At $15 an hour, the pool of people for a job isn't as big as if it were for 25-30 an hour. Bigger pool, larger number of qualified and quality applicants. That is another driving factor for wage.
I've never worked in a GM/UAW plant, but I was a mechanic for 12 years. I would imagine its similar. I know I worked my tail off for every dime I earned. Dirty hard work. I'm glad they came to an agreement that benefited both sides of the table.