HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

How will the UAW strike affect the HHR SS rollout?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by quest51210
i can find you 10,000 residents in my district that would be willing to to work for half the price UAW and the fact that unions are a dying breed the companies will either hire cheaper labor here or move across the border.
The problem with that logic is your 10000 people wont have the talent or training to do the jobs that the union workers have. My union spent $51 million on a training site for its Operators. The money comes out of my check weekly to pay for it..... Proof that union labor is better trained than non union labor. Sorry if you think otherwise.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chris'sHHR

5. The union negotiator goes back to the table and lets the employer know what the result was, and heres the important part. If the employer resumes negotiations in good faith there is no strike!!!!! If the employer says "thats our final offer, strike is on."

Unions don't call strikes, so lets get that clear. The employees working under a collective bargaining agreement do. And its the employers final decision that seals the fate of a strike.

!
But, if the union demands a "agreement" that the employer does not agree with. The union can call for the strike. That is not the empoyer sealing the "fate".

Example, you make $25/hr. Your union demands you make $50/hr. Your empoyee has stated you will get $30/hr. Union strikes. Is that is employee's fault? (granted no-one here knows the "exacts" and this was an example only).
Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 AM

Part supply...
Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by quest51210
i can find you 10,000 residents in my district that would be willing to to work for half the price UAW and the fact that unions are a dying breed the companies will either hire cheaper labor here or move across the border.
My union has grown 1000 members a year for the past 10 years. You do the math. We own the construction industry in Chicago. Your going to see a gigantic swing in union membership in the next ten years also. Take a look at the world governments. English Prime minister Gordon Brown, Labour party...
Australian government is controlled by the labor party... Japanese prime minister is appointed by the Liberal Democratic party of Japan ..... Unions are growing because people are fed up with substandard wages, health care and retirement packages while their employers execs are making multi million dollar salary's.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
But, if the union demands a "agreement" that the employer does not agree with. The union can call for the strike. That is not the empoyer sealing the "fate".

Example, you make $25/hr. Your union demands you make $50/hr. Your empoyee has stated you will get $30/hr. Union strikes. Is that is employee's fault? (granted no-one here knows the "exacts" and this was an example only).
First If you make $25 an hour the "Union" wont demand that you make $50 an hour. The "Union" isnt made of of some stodgy old guy in a suit smoking a cigar. The "Union" is the member that is covered under the contract. SO If the Employer and the Employees cant come to an agreement the EMPLOYEES have the right under NLRB law to take a strike vote. The UNION'S only role is counting the votes that its members covered by that specific contract have cast. Then,like i said above, if the employer sits at the table again and hears what the employees want the strike is postponed due to good faith negotiations. But if he says tough the union negotiator has to go back to its membership and say guys he said, " no deal" So if the employer doesn't want to bargain then he has sealed the fate of the strike.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 AM

I used to be heavily involved in this whole process when I was a Mechanic. Had to go to school for it.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chris'sHHR
First If you make $25 an hour the "Union" wont demand that you make $50 an hour. The "Union" isnt made of of some stodgy old guy in a suit smoking a cigar. The "Union" is the member that is covered under the contract. SO If the Employer and the Employees cant come to an agreement the EMPLOYEES have the right under NLRB law to take a strike vote. The UNION'S only role is counting the votes that its members covered by that specific contract have cast. Then,like i said above, if the employer sits at the table again and hears what the employees want the strike is postponed due to good faith negotiations. But if he says tough the union negotiator has to go back to its membership and say guys he said, " no deal" So if the employer doesn't want to bargain then he has sealed the fate of the strike.
It's two sides of a coin.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Your last sentence got me wondering.......

What about ALL the parts from international contributors? Are they shipped to a US POE for inventory control, or directly to a Mexico POE, then to the plant.
Just curious.....because Some of the parts are interchangeable with other GM products.
Windsor transmission has stopped production as of 7:30 pm Monday there are 2 guys left to ship out trans to Mexico the rest of the week.Most of the gm plants in Canada are down now last one to close thursday.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:17 AM

What about ALL the parts from international contributors? Are they shipped to a US POE for inventory control, or directly to a Mexico POE, then to the plant.

Hey.....Desert Coyote....can you ask your wife if they send the engines directly to the plant or to an intermediary point. I guess the same question to Clare, at the transmission plant in Canada.
Don't have to ask, she's talked to me about this before. The engines are shipped, as often as possible, directly to the plants.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:30 AM

PowerTrain Sources

Hey.....Desert Coyote....can you ask your wife if they send the engines directly to the plant or to an intermediary point. I guess the same question to Clare, at the transmission plant in Canada.

Just curious.....because Some of the parts are interchangeable with other GM products.

Most engines and transmissions (powertrains) are sent directly to the user plant. Some, but not many, are sent to dealer/service zones for replacements.
Whenever there is a possible "disruption", some are "stored" near the user plant.
Windsor is the sole source of automatic trans.(8FW, 8EL, 8EH & 8TH).
Spring Hill,TN is the only source of the 2.0L LFN (turbo). Spring Hill, Tonawanda NY, and a German plant build the 2.2L engines.

source: http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...0LI4VVTDITurbo

Clare

Last edited by cc732; 09-25-2007 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added model 8EH

Quick Reply: How will the UAW strike affect the HHR SS rollout?