HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

it's a gas leak, not oil...need suggestions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:19 PM

The SIDI system of the SS uses 2 pumps. The low pressure pump supplies fuel to the high pressure pump, which in turn feeds the injectors.

What you're looking at is the service fitting for the "low" pressure fuel line. If the Schrader valve is leaking it should be replaced, or the line replaced, not sealed. The port is there so that technicians can hook a fuel pressure gage to the system to verify if the in tank electric fuel pump is flowing a sufficient volume (pressure) of fuel.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 PM

latest update......

Originally Posted by whopper
Better keep a fire extinguisher handy - you don't want to be messing around with attempting a repair with Toyota FIPG, and now with "liquid metal". That is just playing with fire (literally).
I can understand your thoughts, but read below....and thanks....

Originally Posted by Spozo
The SIDI system of the SS uses 2 pumps. The low pressure pump supplies fuel to the high pressure pump, which in turn feeds the injectors.

What you're looking at is the service fitting for the "low" pressure fuel line. If the Schrader valve is leaking it should be replaced, or the line replaced, not sealed. The port is there so that technicians can hook a fuel pressure gage to the system to verify if the in tank electric fuel pump is flowing a sufficient volume (pressure) of fuel.
the line will be replaced, but for now, the read below says it all......

I am here to tell you that Liquid Metal does work!!!! and yes I did clean up the FIPG completely before applying the LM. just started up the SS and the fuel dripping has been eliminated, only a very slight and I mean a very slight wetness underneath the tubing. shut down the engine, made sure the tube was dry and put another coat of the Liquid Metal on, more so underneath the tube, and then redid everything. not pretty, but by tomorrow morning it will be cured for sure and ready to go. still going to order the new fuel line and will keep the old if I can get the metal off and cleaned, then try that silver solder and keep for a spare. keeps me from having the SS down until the new part comes in. I am a happy guy......again want to thank everyone for their imput on the problem, as always it is appreciated.....
will update tomoorow after I get to work, as that will be the real test....so far....so good.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

And if your repair lets go while you are driving and causes a fire? Man, you are taking a chance.

You asked for advise, and the suggestions were Warranty, replace the part, or to get it silver soldered.

But it's your car. Best of luck with the fuel resistant (not fuel proof) liquid metal.

Peace
Old 04-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Fire Extinguisher !!! I always have one in mine..
Old 04-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sleeper
Fire Extinguisher !!! I always have one in mine..
I keep one on the bike (a small Halon one - totally illegal now), and one in one of the cars. But I do need to get one for the HHR some day.

I had to use one years ago to put a fire out in a car (not mine) that caught on fire in traffic - the car on fire was owned by a fireman of all people. He too knew he has a small gas leak, but thought it was ok. Sure made a mess of his car. And I was quite pleased that the small dry chem extinguisher I used took care of the fire quite nicely.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by whopper
I keep one on the bike (a small Halon one - totally illegal now), and one in one of the cars. But I do need to get one for the HHR some day.

I had to use one years ago to put a fire out in a car (not mine) that caught on fire in traffic - the car on fire was owned by a fireman of all people. He too knew he has a small gas leak, but thought it was ok. Sure made a mess of his car. And I was quite pleased that the small dry chem extinguisher I used took care of the fire quite nicely.
That's cool to hear you helped another who had a gas fire..

I keep my mini fire ext. in the rear cup hole, since no one sits in the back of my panel..

As a kid I learned the hard way on a trail bike, developed a slight gas leak...
Thought I could make it home to fix it.. WRONG..........
After the fire truck (yes a Fire truck).. arrived & put the fire out, he told me I was lucky to have had a full tank of gas. Since I was trying to beat out the flames with my jacket.
Said it likely would have exploded otherwise... I was lucky that day..
Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Deceased

Every vehicle should have an extinguisher, but you'd be amazed that sometimes the ones that should have them the most, don't carry them at all. The Charlotte PD did not equip its cruisers with extinguishers and we nearly lost an officer last December, he was saved because a utility truck had an extinguisher on board and a brave bystander stepped up to help. Thankfully the cruisers are now equipped the way they should have been all along, and our officers and citizens are safer for it. Here's a link to the story, the officer is now back on duty and doing fine.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/CMPD-...119025259.html

Last edited by 843de; 04-11-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

What a story at that link 843de!! The officer was darned lucky. Glad to see they are getting the remainder of the cars properly equipped.

Sleeper - I hope it was a leather jacket!!! Those denim ones go up in flames pretty good. Yeah those slow leaks....

My brother years ago was on his BSA 500 Goldstar, and pulled up to the ferry toll booth to pay his fare, and the attendant said "ahhhh your bike is on fire" - he looked down to see flames starting to lap up the side of the tank - he said he ripped the tank off while still straddling the bike and threw it one way, and he dove the other direction. It was a basket case he had put together, and of course he didn't have clamps for the gas lines.... but "it would be ok"!!! Other than a dented tank, and a bit of melted wiring etc., and being totally embarassed he escaped any injury. The bike was fixable and served to ride again. Ahhh the good old days!!!! :)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 AM

I experienced something similar years ago. Fire was a close second, to fumes in the cabin! I'd be more worried about passing out from fumes rather than a fire.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
I can understand your thoughts, but read below....and thanks....

the line will be replaced, but for now, the read below says it all......

I am here to tell you that Liquid Metal does work!!!! and yes I did clean up the FIPG completely before applying the LM. just started up the SS and the fuel dripping has been eliminated, only a very slight and I mean a very slight wetness underneath the tubing. shut down the engine, made sure the tube was dry and put another coat of the Liquid Metal on, more so underneath the tube, and then redid everything. not pretty, but by tomorrow morning it will be cured for sure and ready to go. still going to order the new fuel line and will keep the old if I can get the metal off and cleaned, then try that silver solder and keep for a spare. keeps me from having the SS down until the new part comes in. I am a happy guy......again want to thank everyone for their imput on the problem, as always it is appreciated.....
will update tomoorow after I get to work, as that will be the real test....so far....so good.
too late for silver solder. u gooped it up. not likely it can be cleaned up enough for silver solder. oh well, just put the new one on and happy cruising.

Quick Reply: it's a gas leak, not oil...need suggestions!!!