HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Just got backed into

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Beast (aka Boydie)

I was in Home Depot when a young man ran one of those heavy carts
loaded with stuff into my '08 panel back in 2012. Damaged driver door and fender. He came into the store and gave his name and address. I contacted him and he paid me for the estimated repairs. I was lucky, he was an honest citizen, rare these days.

The police won't make an accident report in a store parking lot here in Michigan either. (probably because of "No Fault Insurance)

I have been told that since it was a Home Depot shopping cart the store would have paid to fix the car if no one had come forward.

Boydie
Yes that is rare, Boydie. Unfortunately. The guy that I believe hit me actually came in this afternoon to ask if anyone came forward to claim responsibilty. I told him no but the way he was acting and asking questions was real suspicious. My coworker asked him point blank if he did it and he said no. So yeah rare indeed.

And that's cool if Home Depot would do that. (I hope I never have to find out) I know most places have signs that say that the store is not responsible for damage done by carts.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Technical Moderator

"public property" and damage thereon is a whole law book I'll bet.

I was sitting still in a parking lot in a rental car when some whahoo hit an ice patch and hit me. The rental company insisted that I needed a "police" report. After the Police would not respond, I went to the Police headquarters and requested a report form. I almost got arrested because they would not even give me a piece of paper!

Strange thing is; I ended up OK because the rental company thought the car was still rented out to the previous client. They sent ME a bill with HER credit card info on it! And my rental was an insurance claim, so I should have never even heard about it.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:42 AM

I made a temporary fix for the scratches until I can scrape up the money to get it fixed. Plasti Dip to the rescue.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Banned

Where's the damage?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Nice cover up!
Old 05-01-2015, 01:16 PM

you may be able to get it fixed thru your insurance as a liability claim since it was parked. You shouldnt have any deductable when it comes to liability
reason i say that is i am currently dealing with my insurance company since my wife decided to back out of my driveway the other day and didnt notice my brother in laws car parked next to it and she scrapped the side up pretty good. his estimates are anywhere from $900-1200 to fix it!
Old 05-01-2015, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by paperboy72
you may be able to get it fixed thru your insurance as a liability claim since it was parked. You shouldnt have any deductable when it comes to liability
reason i say that is i am currently dealing with my insurance company since my wife decided to back out of my driveway the other day and didnt notice my brother in laws car parked next to it and she scrapped the side up pretty good. his estimates are anywhere from $900-1200 to fix it!
Thanks, I tried to but my insurance company has to have a police report and the county that I work in doesn't do reports on hit and runs that happen in parking lots. They gave me a self report form to fill out for the insurance but my insurance company doesn't accept that form.

Oh well, it gave me an excuse to play around with the Plasti Dip.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:51 PM

"Maybe the better question is...why do I have that insurance company?"

Boydie

Originally Posted by hhrss10
Thanks, I tried to but my insurance company has to have a police report and the county that I work in doesn't do reports on hit and runs that happen in parking lots. They gave me a self report form to fill out for the insurance but my insurance company doesn't accept that form.

Oh well, it gave me an excuse to play around with the Plasti Dip.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:24 PM

good comeback boydie!