HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

LDK build

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by drummerboy0088
Name is Nick.

Awesome! Did you get it from Altered Ego Automotive Designs? He was great! Super quick, and in constant communication.
No, I assumed you made that! I'm making mine for the wife. Very cool though!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
I don't like the idea of capping the fresh air in either. That brings the air into the lower crankcase, their clean side separator only brings air to the valve cover?

Why does the larger line cause a whine? I vaguely remember reading something on another forum where there was a whine. I'll go look for it.
Well since the hose is extending the journey for the air (both for valve cover to turbo inlet, and PCV to the manifold) plus the hose being 1/2" thick, you would think this is going to cause a vacuum issue and create a whine. My thinking is reduce all 1/2" hose with 3/8" and that should help balance it more, and produce no whine.

If there's no whine with kinked lines, and whine with unkinked lines, I take it as hose diameters are too big.

I'm not a whine guy anyway, give me beer, whiskey, or scotch.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:51 PM

Thanks to jegs, got all An fittings for the catch can setup. Replaced all 1/2" hose with 3/8". No more whine nose! Looks like it was a success.

We can finally put the front bumper on, and it's time to start preping for the first car show.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Administrator

And then there will whistling!! She's a beauty!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:14 PM

So we finally put the car back together, and there are problems.

After the engine was warm (20 minutes idle) the whine came back. Removed the oil cap, and the whine is gone. Give it some gas, whine it gone.

Looks like we need to include the clean side seperater that came with the catch can setup - that goes in place of the oil cap. Tom from RX said to run the line from my cold air intake to the clean side seperater, and cap off the 90 degree valve port. I'm not a big fan of that, so I'm going to try teeing the 3 together.

Also - finally road tested and got a few things.
1) There's no boost - anything past light throttle I get an ESC warning, and maybe 0.6 psi.
2) when the ESC warning comes on, there's no brakes. Seems like the the brakes lock up and I have to keep putting my foot on and off the brake until the pads bite and stop the car.

1st road test had the car with the clean side seperater in place of the oil cap. We just had a 3/8" hose running out of the seperater towards the ground, not connected to anything. When the ESC activated, it would sound like my car had a BOV. I'm running the stock k04 turbo with stock diverter valve. Maybe teeing the Clean Side Seperator with the cold air intake, to have them both run to port 2 (90 degree) on the valve cover, this will help with that noise.

2nd road test replaced the clean side seperater with the oil cap. Still throwing ESC warnings, but boost got up to 1.8psi.

Being that when we first installed the catch can with 1/2" hose and got whine, then got whine after the car was warmed up with the 3/8" hose, plus the two road tests causing ESC warning and no brakes simultaneously - I'm thinking I have a vacuum issue due to the catch can. There's no lights on my dash besides when the ESC comes on.

I hope it's a vacuum issue, otherwise brother and I are stumped...
Old 05-30-2016, 06:53 PM

"2) when the ESC warning comes on, there's no brakes. Seems like the the brakes lock up and I have to keep putting my foot on and off the brake until the pads bite and stop the car."

Sounds like no vacuum to the brake booster?
Old 05-30-2016, 07:23 PM

After doing a Google search, it could be the sensor in my steering column causing all this.

Once the car was on the ground I noticed with the wheels straight, my steering wheel was leaning to the right. This could be why the ESC keeps coming on when I try to give gas, and the other reason why boost is limited with no brakes.

As long as it's a nice day tomorrow, I'll turn off the ESC to see if it fixes the issues. If that helps and I get boost, then I know once the car is aligned it should be good to go!
Old 05-30-2016, 07:27 PM

If you have the Tech2 still calibrating the steering is easy to do. But, how did that happen?

I think the opposite would happen. The ESC would prevent boost.

And ESC causes the brakes to be applied in sequences intended to give you control on a slick surface.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:48 PM

We dropped the frame when we replaced the motor, so we had to disconnect the steering column. I guess how we put it back on caused it to not be aligned?

Exactly, that's what's happening. I would give a little gas to try and get boost, and ESC would kick in. Then I would try to brake, and not have much break - my guess is because the ESC was applying brakes in sequences.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:00 PM

I think I would also be double-checking the PCV and check valves. Make sure they are functioning properly and installed correctly. I cannot find that thread I was looking for, but I think the whine could be caused by a bad check valve. Not sure if it would cause any of the other symptoms.

Quick Reply: LDK build