HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Lower charge pipe replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:28 AM

This is an older TSB but it could be related to your issue. Read the TSB info then come back to these next lines.

If the vacuum line that is attatched to the repaired nipple is for the wastegate then it probably is the issue. The way you repaired it is likely causing a restriction in that vacuum line. But that still does not mean it is an issue but it certainly could be.

TSB:
Subject: Low Boost/Power and/or DTC P0299 or P0101

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Only

2008-2009 Chevrolet HHR SS Only

2007-2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP

2007-2009 Saturn Sky Redline

With Engine RPO LNF Only

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A technician may encounter a vehicle with a low boost/power condition and/or DTC P0299 and or P0101 setting. This may be the result of a cracked or broken fitting at the turbocharger assembly.

Recommendation/Instructions:
It has been determined that the nipple for the turbocharger wastegate actuator may be damaged causing this condition. If this concern is noted please inspect the area on the underside of the turbo compressor housing for the wastegate actuator solenoid valve. The nipple (see CALLOUT #1) may have been damaged causing a loss of boost pressure. It may be necessary to remove the charge air duct for a closer inspection. See eSI "Turbocharger Wastegate Actuator Replacement" for solenoid replacement procedure.

This solenoid is available separate from the turbocharger and should be replaced as a sub assembly. Do not replace the turbocharger assembly.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 AM

Yeah, this whole thing started after I found the broken nipple in the lower charge pipe, so I have to think that it’s the cause of P0101 DTC.
I have checked everything I could except taking the bumper cover off to inspect the intercooler...
i guess I’d have to take the bumper cover off next to see the intercooler and possibly take off the charge pipe, so I can inspect them more closely with better access to them....

whats puzzling me is that when I checked if the vacuum line connected to the repaired nipple is restricted by my repair, it, to me at least, seems to be no restriction there....
Old 11-28-2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Yamahhr
What’s the chance of the ECU itself is going bad??

is there any way to test the ECU?!
"Going bad"? It's a digital computer, no moving parts. Either zero or one.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
"Going bad"? It's a digital computer, no moving parts. Either zero or one.
thank you for your reply!
I guess my question showed you how much I know about computers... lol
i have a 81 El Camino that I rebuilt the motor, did 700r4 conversion, dash conversion etc... I’m very comfortable working on older “analogue/ mechanical” stuff but this HHR SS thats controlled totally by computer just intimidates me a whole a lot.....
but im determined to get rid of this P0101 DTC issue!
Old 11-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Yamahhr
Yeah, this whole thing started after I found the broken nipple in the lower charge pipe, so I have to think that it’s the cause of P0101 DTC.
I have checked everything I could except taking the bumper cover off to inspect the intercooler...
i guess I’d have to take the bumper cover off next to see the intercooler and possibly take off the charge pipe, so I can inspect them more closely with better access to them....

whats puzzling me is that when I checked if the vacuum line connected to the repaired nipple is restricted by my repair, it, to me at least, seems to be no restriction there....
I should have said reduction instead of restriction.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
I should have said reduction instead of restriction.
since I inserted a brass tube that fits inside of the nipple (so that it’s stickkng out and the brass tube is now inserted to the hole left in the charge pipe), I can see how it may reduce the amount of air can flow through....
Old 11-28-2017, 04:06 PM

I am not saying it is for sure the problem. Just pointing out that it could since that tsb talks about a similar cause at the possible other end of that line. So is that line the wastegate line?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
I am not saying it is for sure the problem. Just pointing out that it could since that tsb talks about a similar cause at the possible other end of that line. So is that line the wastegate line?
Yes, it’s the line that runs from the lower charge pipe and the solenoid mounnted intake manifold. The one that has 3 vacuum hoses connndcted to: vacuum canister (I have checked the cracks on it and it checked out), lower charge pipe, boost control solenoid (??), attaches to turbo.

I cleared P0101 last night but when I started the engine this morning, CEL was lit again!!! Ugh!!!
I stopped by oriellys auto parts to get it scanned.
It didn’t show P0101 but now P0443.
Thry said it’s purge valve solenoid related.

I haven’t lost boost today so far yet....

i think ill take it back to the dealer tomorrow.
(The P0443 should bf covered with warranty: I still have 2000miles/ more than a month left...)

i will report back back when I find out anything. (So it may help anyone else here who might be having the same/ similar issues...)
Old 11-28-2017, 04:49 PM

Hopefully your mechanic will know the difference between "purge" and "vent". The P0443 refers to the purge valve under the hood. 10 minutes work, $23.99 at my local AutoZone.

Could be the wiring to it got disturbed with all the work going on.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Labeled this picture a long time back.
Red=bypass valve
Blue=lower Tmap
Yellow= cannister

Quick Reply: Lower charge pipe replacement.