HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Lower intercooler piping repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 09blkss
Just picked up my SS. The service tech couldn't show me the problem. Basically, he didn't know what he was talking about.

I'll crawl underneath tonight to see what I can find.
I could be wrong, but I swear they don't teach the "techs" to do the performance stuff...I can't even tell you how many people on this forum go to dealers that won't even touch the GM upgrade, don't know what it is....Not to mention putting conventional oil in our SS's, or joy riding them into telephone poles...You name it...the dealers have done it, but they wont cover a performance upgrade under warranty unless their uninformed staff does it...

Sorry about the rant

And the pipe is just above the frame in that first pic and wraps around into the I/C
Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM

My dealer service mgr is awesome and he only has the corvette tech touch my car now since the GMTU was installed.

If your CEL is on then you're not boosting because you're in limp mode. You could clear it but then you risk damage. Limp mode is protecting you but you still shouldn't drive it till its fixed.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the pics SS Fan.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

You are welcome, glad I had them , makes it easy to do sum esplanning.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:31 AM

Took a look under the car. I didn't jack it up so I couldn't crawl up under. So, I took my phone and videoed as well as took pictures. No signs of damage to the lower IC piping on the visible side of the piping.

Makes me wonder if there is an issue with the turbo because it does make some racket when accelerating. Not sure if a leak would make the turbo sound this way. Some of you with more experience would have to give your opinion.

Also, I couldn't see the connections so its possible they are bad. Sure would have been good to have it on a lift.

I agree with badassbowtie in that I don't see any way that a rock or anything else got up in there without hitting and damaging something else. Best I can tell is that the piping sits above metal framing. So, that was a lame explanation by the dealer.

Very disappointed in the dealership service dept that they didn't make more of an effort to provide a better explanation. They could have at least made a better effort to show me where they identified the leak.

I'll be taking to a different shop!

One correction to a previous statement that I made. It was the service rep and not the service tech that explained the issue (not) to me.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM

I have some tips for you... Be a pain in the ass(to a small degree) at the dealer lol. I have built a good relationship with my service mgr. If I want, he let's me in the bay to speak with the tech and see the car up on the lift. He showed me the intercooler washers when they moved it forward. They let me see the clearance for my TMAP. They became actually excited to go for a ride after my GMTU. I discuss what will be done and what was done when there is service. Ask for the dealer corvette tech only to work on it. This vehicle is literally a performance vehicle and one with limited production to boot. It's not a cookie cutter car. Every engine bay and assembly is slightly different in the fitment department to a degree. Turbo cars can be temperamental I have learned. Just do some research, find a dealer service mgr that will take the time and work WITH you. They all have their own safety policy for allowing you in the bay and such but basically know who literally is working in your car and become familiar to them. Then you're a face and not just an invoice. I have a unique quality of service at my dealer but you can find and establish it. It also leads to more confidence and ability to work with them and not get screwed. Doesn't fix your problem just a a tip.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by eaglefreak138
I have some tips for you... Be a pain in the ass(to a small degree) at the dealer lol. I have built a good relationship with my service mgr. If I want, he let's me in the bay to speak with the tech and see the car up on the lift. He showed me the intercooler washers when they moved it forward. They let me see the clearance for my TMAP. They became actually excited to go for a ride after my GMTU. I discuss what will be done and what was done when there is service. Ask for the dealer corvette tech only to work on it. This vehicle is literally a performance vehicle and one with limited production to boot. It's not a cookie cutter car. Every engine bay and assembly is slightly different in the fitment department to a degree. Turbo cars can be temperamental I have learned. Just do some research, find a dealer service mgr that will take the time and work WITH you. They all have their own safety policy for allowing you in the bay and such but basically know who literally is working in your car and become familiar to them. Then you're a face and not just an invoice. I have a unique quality of service at my dealer but you can find and establish it. It also leads to more confidence and ability to work with them and not get screwed. Doesn't fix your problem just a a tip.
Appreciate the tips eaglefreak. Particularly requesting service by the corvette tech. Interestingly, this dealer gave me GREAT service when they replaced the manufacturer faulty engine and turbo in the spring of last year. They put their best service tech on the job. I have had zero issues until now. Wonder if that service tech was also the corvette tech. Hmmm.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

As the plot thickens....they replaced the motor and turbo ?
Old 02-27-2014, 06:14 AM

Yep, I was having the overheated engine for no apparent reason issue that some '09 SS models experienced. Dealt with it for about a year. Eventually, the dealer kept the car for three weeks. First two weeks trying to figure out why the car was overheating. The final week replacing the engine.

After the engine was replaced, the car started blowing smoke from the tailpipe after about a week. I took it back and they replaced the turbo. No more issues until now.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM

Everything has a cause and affect. All that overheating and replacement could have compromised the pipe if they didn't replace that too.

Quick Reply: Lower intercooler piping repair