HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

MR. ANAL learns something new today!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM

MR. ANAL learns something new today!!!!

or maybe it is that I have been driving the SS very conservatively over the last few weeks or longer. When I first got the SS, the passing gear was amazing, seeing close to if not 20 PSI on the boost. From 60 and up it really took off. But this AM, when I hit passing gear from 55 and 60, what a , I was glad there was no one around to witness what transpired.
So tonight, I figure I will teach the ECM a new lesson or two. And that is just what I did, on the way home (47 mile trip) mostly highway, if I hit passing gear once, I must have done it about 8 or 9 times from 65 and 70 mph. Let me tell you, I taught that ECM a thing or two it felt like it did in the beginning, (I now have 5500 miles) and the more I did it, the better it responded. Did not have the DashHawk with me, but will in the future to further test the passing gear and response. At one time the boost gauge spiked up to 15, dropped down to 10 and up to 15 again, did not know what that was all about, but after that, close to 20 on the remainiing runs. Now I know not to even think about gas mileage anymore, and just keep that ECM happy at all times.
Looking forward to some mods when they become available and tested, do need some good sounds from the exhaust....soooon I hope
Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 AM

Don't drive your car like a granny people, that's the lesson we learned here

Modern ECUs are pretty adaptable and can certainly learn our driving habits, and I wouldn't be surprised if the SS does a bit of this. I have no idea really though
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM

just a quick little question from a total car noob, what do you mean passing gear?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:53 AM

it's when an automatic transmission downshifts when you floor it.

as far as the sensation of resetting the ECM, doesn't that happen every time you open the fuel filler gas cap? It does on my 1998 Camaro. You didn't just happen to fill up right before that sensation of power didja?

Ive heard that when u sit in traffic, the ECM might adjust for that over the course of a tankful. the result of that is a loss of power at WOT. when u fill up again, BINGO full power again. im really not up on this for the HHR so correct me if im wrong...
Old 07-03-2008, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by MOTRV8D

as far as the sensation of resetting the ECM, doesn't that happen every time you open the fuel filler gas cap? It does on my 1998 Camaro. You didn't just happen to fill up right before that sensation of power didja?

Ive heard that when u sit in traffic, the ECM might adjust for that over the course of a tankful. the result of that is a loss of power at WOT. when u fill up again, BINGO full power again. im really not up on this for the HHR so correct me if im wrong...
to be honest with you, I have no clue, yes it was after a fill up the night before, but I not sure I understand the logic involving the gas cap
Old 07-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Platinum Member

MOTRV8D......

Where did you hear this ???
Old 07-03-2008, 01:55 PM

The PCM doesn't readjust after a refueling event. Fuel trims are are only reset during an extended power loss event, TEC II, or third party tuning software/interface.

The PCM will 'learn' the fueling and spark parameters, but continually adjusts these through the closed loop process by various sensor inputs.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:44 PM

Train that bad boy!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=MOTRV8D;284464]it's when an automatic transmission downshifts when you floor it.

as far as the sensation of resetting the ECM, doesn't that happen every time you open the fuel filler gas cap? It does on my 1998 Camaro.

what would make you think that?........
Old 07-05-2008, 03:32 PM

also learning the DASHHAWK.....

just printed out 128 pages of info for the DashHawk, and with your help
I will learn how to use and understand what I am doing.......
Looking to post some logs on different parameters besides 0-60 and 1/4 mi times. Should be interesting......now on to the reading and maybe some testing tomorrow...