HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

My Ss Is A Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 PM

My Ss Is A Lemon

HAVE AN 08 VR 5Spd HHR SS WITH 1500miles (2 months old)

Repairs to date:

1) Driver's door doesn't fit right- adjust hinges- better but still not satisfactory
2) Headliner and dash creaks like crazy-in dealer now on item 3)
3) Engine light came on and I shut er off and checked gas cap for tightness. Went to restart- no luck.....towed via flatbed to dealership-turns out it is a cluth sensor that has gone.....engine thinks clutch isn't engaging and won't turn over. 7-10day wait for part........bullsh!&

My wife has an 07 Vibe that has never had an issue other then garbage GM Windshield wipers that had to be replaced after 1 month of ownership. Other wise car is great-cause it is a Toyota.

I also have a 01 Z06 that I drive on Sundays..only 15,000mi.....its great for what it is and now the Vette is the only GM I would ever look at again.

I am and have always been a GM guy and my dad works for a GM dealer (since 1988). Even with discount and GM points....I am done with day to day GM vehs after this......can't make garbage year after year and hope to keep people loyal. I hate to support imports but my buddy works at Ford and I told him 8 yrs ago....they get paid too much for the quality they produce....
and according to recent sales figures and layoffs it looks like the market agrees.

Oh yeah....my loaner is a Pontiac G5 Pursuit....absolute ****.....my 92 Lumina that I sold last year was twice the car the G5 is.

Heads-up on the SS.......goes hand in hand with Sky Redline and Solstice GXP reliability with the Turbo 2.0.......crap.....was hoping for much more.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

Trolling much?

What do you wanna bet the clutch sensor was made in Japan?

So, basically, your car has very minor problems that are being covered completely under warranty AND they're giving you a LOANER to boot? Wow, that's absolute bull****. And that G5 budget compact isn't as nice as your Lumina family sedan? Perish the thought.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Trolling much?

What do you wanna bet the clutch sensor was made in Japan?

So, basically, your car has very minor problems that are being covered completely under warranty AND they're giving you a LOANER to boot? Wow, that's absolute bull****. And that G5 budget compact isn't as nice as your Lumina family sedan? Perish the thought.

Yea still proceeding with my order - too many happy HHR Owners for these few downers to change my impression.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:26 PM

Lemon

The Vibe is the family car....the Lumina was replaced by the HHR SS and was more reliable and had no probs over the 3 yrs I drove it. That was back when GM built quality...though cheesy by today's standards....you know it would run forever. I don't have the confidence in modern day GM at all. Sure the sensor may be made in Japan...if you are right...but it was put in the car and QC'd by a Mexican....who also fu%^ed up the headliner and dash kit.......the Japs and Germans don't mess that ***** up.

I would rather a 92 Lumina then an 08 G5 as a loaner....it is garbage through and through.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM

Whatever you do, don't do a google search of vw creak rattle. You may have to eat some words about Germans not messing anything up....That being said I've heard our cars can rattle too but I haven't had any issues so far...
Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM

The only quality complaints I have (and they are minor) are completely build quality (not design or hardware). I would have been willing to pay another $4k-$5K for a UAW USA built HHR, but I am probably in the minority.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM

but it was put in the car and QC'd by a Mexican....who also fu%^ed up the headliner and dash kit.......the Japs and Germans don't mess that ***** up.
Our VW was built in Mexico (VW New Beetle TDI diesel). That's why VW adopted the "German Engineered" slogan, because not all their models are German built anymore. And its TDI engine was built in Poland, its transmission in Argentina. So that particular German brand isn't so German anymore.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 PM

I agree C2Vette....unfortunately with the Big 3 it is only gonna get worse as they continue to close-up shop in Can and the US and invest in Mexico. On the flip side, Toyota and Honda both have thriving plants within an hour of my house....guess they will be the future domestic brands and GM/Ford and Chrysler will be imports
Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 PM

Like I said...my buddy works at Ford Plant and another at a GM plant. The Ford guy is 100 per cent lazy! He will miss shifts b/c the latest X-Box game has come out and does it all the time. Yet they pay him, or cover him etc and he is virtually fire-proof. I know that is the minority but Unions like UAW and CAW are only good for the lazy ones. The hard workers wouldn't need the union. Gotta respect Toyota and the rest....you don't show up- you're fired!!....as it should be....

Now the Big 3 need to build in Mexico now to save their companies cause they can't afford to pay $30+/hour and benefits for a guy who has a hang-nail and another who is playing video games at home on a Wednesday afternoon

So Mexico it is....but what do you get for $8 an hour? Would you hire an electrician or plumber for $8/hour.....you'd be swimming in your bathroom or get zapped when you plug in your toaster.....yet they are building our cars in Mexico.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 PM

Lone Ranger-- And that is why VW has slipped since 2000 when they started building the Jetta and Beetle in Mexico. My mother had a Beetle which was average and a co-worker had a Jetta (2.0) that was awful according to him. When I say German I mean the Passat and overpriced GTI and BMW. But you get what you pay for

Quick Reply: My Ss Is A Lemon