HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Oil Changes and Oil Monitor system

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:35 AM

I guess the question I've had (how this post began), and maybe it is answered somewhere here, is the fact that the GM indicator doesn't know whether you you synthetic or regualar oil. Synthetic doesn't break down like regular. Is it smart enough to actually "look" and "analyze" the actual oil and then give you the percentages? I suspect it only goes by mileage, engine temperature, engine speed, etc.

Thus, if synthetic oil is good for say "twice as long" as regular, it might be ok to reset the meter the first time it hits zero and change it the second time around, which I might add, would be around 5-6000 miles I assume.

I tried to view the How Stuff Works video, but it won't run on my computer. Maybe that gave the answer.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Founding Member

Oil Life Monitor does not know what type of oil or how much oil is in the engine for that matter.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rcflyboy
I changed mine at 5500 miles the first time and life monitor said I had 52% left at that time. I only changed it then because of the car being new. I switched to Mobile 1 and plan to follow the DIC recommendation in the future. GM put a lot of time, knowledge and money into the DIC, I think they know what they are doing.
I am at 5500 and mine is down to 10% I tried to get it in earlier but my dealer has been swamped. I get free oil changes with Mobile1 otherwise I would have done it myself at like 20%.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 PM

BMW uses a oil system much like the GM one. I expect we will see more of it in the future as it saves us money and makes the MFG look GREEN.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AJochum
I guess the question I've had (how this post began), and maybe it is answered somewhere here, is the fact that the GM indicator doesn't know whether you you synthetic or regualar oil. Synthetic doesn't break down like regular. Is it smart enough to actually "look" and "analyze" the actual oil and then give you the percentages? I suspect it only goes by mileage, engine temperature, engine speed, etc.

Thus, if synthetic oil is good for say "twice as long" as regular, it might be ok to reset the meter the first time it hits zero and change it the second time around, which I might add, would be around 5-6000 miles I assume.

I tried to view the How Stuff Works video, but it won't run on my computer. Maybe that gave the answer.
Agree with ChevyMgr......OLI does not know.

But I think this is an old debate question from every forum. The real question (and possibly an answer for you) is......

Does it really matter? If everything you say is true regarding synthetic oil life, why would you care? When using synthetic oil and your OLI says maybe 10% existing life, YOU would have a safety factor built in of potentially many more miles of use. Note however, I would still change the oil and filter as the OLI indicates (or at least every year as your Owners Manual states).

HOWEVER....as I understand it, it's not the oil that wears out....it's the additives. And it's been my experience (based on continual analysis)that additives in the synthetic oil products deplete at essentially the same rate as those in mineral based oils. I would instill a few exceptions....some synthetics use higher amounts of certain additives and promote longer use intervals because of this.

At least this is what Blackstone Labs explained to me. I would tend to believe them since their analysis and operation is not aligned with any specific product.

My 6 cents ( inflation)
Old 10-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Agree with ChevyMgr......OLI does not know.

At least this is what Blackstone Labs explained to me. I would tend to believe them since their analysis and operation is not aligned with any specific product.

My 6 cents ( inflation)
Your Oil Life Monitor does not do the same job as Blackstone Labs. Getting you oil analyzed is the surest method, but it is usually cheaper to just change the oil. HOWEVER, the times are changing. Oil is up, and sometimes it costs for disposal, so if oil analysis still costs about $10 to $15 it may be more worthwhile getting it checked.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:31 PM

disk,
you sell AMSOIL? i used to used that in my motorcycle. all i can say about AMSOIL is DAM that is good freaking oil!!! i was thinking of trying it in my cars too but just havent go around to it. you use it in yours?
Old 10-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by diskullman
Your Oil Life Monitor does not do the same job as Blackstone Labs. Getting you oil analyzed is the surest method, but it is usually cheaper to just change the oil. HOWEVER, the times are changing. Oil is up, and sometimes it costs for disposal, so if oil analysis still costs about $10 to $15 it may be more worthwhile getting it checked.
I guess I'm missing YOUR point. I, in no way, suggested the OLI is the same as what Blackstone Labs provide. Can you explain that comment?

But I do agree with you about the analysis as the surest way. The TBN readings over a couple of changes will allow you to make valid judgements of when to change your oil BASED ON YOUR TYPICAL USE. I've been doing it for years.

And, unfortuneately the cost is up like everything else. It's more like $23-$35, depending on what type of analysis you want.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:14 AM

Good discussion. One thing I have wondered (maybe this is stupid). They call it "synthetic" oil, but what the heck is it really? Sure looks and smells like oil. I'm thinking you recycle it with old oil, so is it oil? If not, do we or do we not recycle it?

Inquiring minds want to know. Even me at 2:30 am....
Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Founding Member

Synthetic oils are man made from mineral oil unlike regular oil which is petroleum based. As with lots of things in our daily life, it is a product of war. The Germans developed it due to lack of petroleum and a need for an oil that wouldn't freeze during winter fighting in WWII.

Quick Reply: Oil Changes and Oil Monitor system