HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Oil Changes and Oil Monitor system

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by AJochum
Thus, if synthetic oil is good for say "twice as long" as regular, it might be ok to reset the meter the first time it hits zero
I would change the filter though when the system was reset. Just my 2¢.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:08 AM

I started out with Dino my first 2 oil changes changed my first time at 3,000 miles and noticed it would show about 20-25% at close to 5000 miles on the second fill of oil. I switched to Valvoline full syn after my second change and my DIC now shows 20% at close to 11,000 miles. I can see the theory that it evaluated the oil. Outside the DIC, I still change the filter at around 3,000 to 3,500 miles. It's soo easy.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I would change the filter though when the system was reset. Just my 2¢.
Filters are cheap, Change them at re-set time, or half way through your extended drain interval.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I guess I'm missing YOUR point. I, in no way, suggested the OLI is the same as what Blackstone Labs provide. Can you explain that comment?

But I do agree with you about the analysis as the surest way. The TBN readings over a couple of changes will allow you to make valid judgements of when to change your oil BASED ON YOUR TYPICAL USE. I've been doing it for years.

And, unfortuneately the cost is up like everything else. It's more like $23-$35, depending on what type of analysis you want.
My point is that the Oil Life Monitor is not analyzing the chemical content , or heavy metal content and should not be mistaken for a full oil analysis at a lab. Part 2 of that original point is that Lab Oil Analysis is becoming relatively cheaper compared to the price of oil lately, and should be utilized more often.

Other questiosns, Yes I am AnAmsoil dealer, and I have been using 0W30 SSO oil ( their top of the line) since June. My mileage increased from 19.5 MPG to 22 MPG. During the summer, with school out and less traffic, I was getting 23 MPG, but it has dropped due to school re-opening.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:01 AM

I stand corrected the current cost from Amsoil for a non-postage paid test is $17.95 for a dealer and retail is $22.45.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by diskullman
My point is that the Oil Life Monitor is not analyzing the chemical content , or heavy metal content and should not be mistaken for a full oil analysis at a lab. Part 2 of that original point is that Lab Oil Analysis is becoming relatively cheaper compared to the price of oil lately, and should be utilized more often.

Other questiosns, Yes I am AnAmsoil dealer, and I have been using 0W30 SSO oil ( their top of the line) since June. My mileage increased from 19.5 MPG to 22 MPG. During the summer, with school out and less traffic, I was getting 23 MPG, but it has dropped due to school re-opening.
Agreed...

and

Agreed....

I went from 22.5 mpg to 25.5 mpg this summer and I changed absolutely nothing, except maybe my choice of road use. Of course, you as well as many others realize, your city driving is different than my city driving. So, I put little trust in peoples claims of increased or deceased MPG.....it's kind of like "butt dynos" which are influenced by many factors and provides very little valid information. And it is very difficult to convince people of either, unless they stop and use controlled logic AND not allow predjudices or emotions to overule.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Lightbulb

the oil life monitor system takes many parameters into consideration in how it determines when the oil needs to be changed and everyones will not be the same.

Use common sense and change the oil when it should be changed..3000 on regular oil and 5000 on synthetic.This is the best thing you can do for an engine.Why stretch out miles on oil when its not that expensive compared to a spun rod brg or main brg.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Who's going to tell him, "It's not many"????? And explain the process (again) or to say read your Owners Book?

I really love this type of thread in all the forums !!!

Can you explain how you determined, "...when it should be changed...3000.....5000...."?

Last edited by Snoopy; 10-05-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by boosted
the oil life monitor system takes many parameters into consideration in how it determines when the oil needs to be changed and everyones will not be the same.

Use common sense and change the oil when it should be changed..3000 on regular oil and 5000 on synthetic.This is the best thing you can do for an engine.Why stretch out miles on oil when its not that expensive compared to a spun rod brg or main brg.
Common sense would be to use the OLM, as indicated in the owners manual, which is the best thing you can do for your vehicle. Where did you get your intervals from? Do you have reports of spun bearings from using the OLM?
Old 10-05-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Who's going to tell him, "It's not many"????? And explain the process (again) or to say read your Owners Book?

I really love this type of thread in all the forums !!!

Can you explain how you determined, "...when it should be changed...3000.....5000...."?

even some service departments cant even agree on this.

Quick Reply: Oil Changes and Oil Monitor system