HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

OK....Competition Clutch for the LNF....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 PM

OK....Competition Clutch for the LNF....

As some may know jonboyb and I have been talking with Competition Clutch....well really more he does, then i talk to him .... about making a clutch kit for the LNF. He has been using them for years in several different high hp applications and has a pretty good relationship with the owner Dan. We have decided to use my car for the development since i have more power than Jon does so I make the better test mule.

The hold up right now is they are just extremely busy to get to an application that they are not sure of people needing clutch kits for. The purpose of this thread is to guage interest for this clutch. I will post here and on css and direct Dan to these threads and this will help speed up the process.....if they see that there is demand then this will help the timeline.

Competition Clutch is a local Atlanta company and has been proven reliable and very capable time and time again. They make clutch kits for Underground Racing who builds 1500whp twin turbo Lamborghini Gallardos and TT Vipers and such. Their clutches are used on many high hp drag, drift, and road racing cars. I can honestly say that I have never heard anything negative about thier products and tons of people use them around here cause they are local and very reasonably priced.

I am shooting for a clutch rated in the 500-550ft/lb range for an upgraded turbo in the near future. I am sure they would offer them in stage kits of sort, offering up more than one clutch type for different power ratings.

It looks as if this would be a complete kit similar to the Hyundai Genesis kit currently in development including clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, and slave cylinder/throw out bearing. The Genesis kit is said to retail in the $800 range and the LNF kit would be priced comparably.

Please post up your thoughts, desired holding capacity, and if you would be interested in the development of this product. Would you ACTUALLY buy a clutch if they produced this kit?

jonboyb.........please feel free to chime in on this thread with any info

.....and mods please....this is a guaging interst thread....thank you
Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 PM

I would be in. I'm gonna need a clutch in the next year. I would want a high HP kit as I am planning on taking Mr. Hyde to ZZP next year.

PS - Underground (Kevin and Casey) are 2 of my old street racing buddies. Boy the fun nights we used to have with the Saleen Mustangs.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dr_Jekyll
I would be in. I'm gonna need a clutch in the next year. I would want a high HP kit as I am planning on taking Mr. Hyde to ZZP next year.

PS - Underground (Kevin and Casey) are 2 of my old street racing buddies. Boy the fun nights we used to have with the Saleen Mustangs.
I am doing the same....bigger turbo and upgraded tranny...either the zzp or shep tranny. may go with internals but at this point prolly not just valve springs/retainers and neutral shafts so i can rev it out more

that's sweet. i would give vital organs for one of their tt gallardos. that is my ultimate dream car and i vow to own one

Thanks for the interest. keep em coming guys!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Haven't been on the boards lately.....for the record, Dan is one of their marketing guys :) I wish he owned it...ha ha ha. Last time I talked to him they are swamped on development right now. I'll shoot him another text and see whats going on.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jonboyb
Haven't been on the boards lately.....for the record, Dan is one of their marketing guys :) I wish he owned it...ha ha ha. Last time I talked to him they are swamped on development right now. I'll shoot him another text and see whats going on.
oh my bad thanks for the update
Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 PM

if it was made for the lnf i would deffinitly be interested in it and would buy it if was a proven system that would hold up to the beatings that would be put on it.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 PM

Glad to see someone else step up to plate for this platform. I no longer own a SS but parts being designed for a dead platform is a plus in my book. My L's been dead for 7 years and we are still getting new or improved parts. Just saying. Btw, I'm still waiting for the first HHR SS past 500fwhp. Cobalt guys did it a long time ago. Somebody has to go built and big turbo soon. I wanna see some 11's soon!

Dave
Old 09-15-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by 2010SilverIceSS
Glad to see someone else step up to plate for this platform. I no longer own a SS but parts being designed for a dead platform is a plus in my book. My L's been dead for 7 years and we are still getting new or improved parts. Just saying. Btw, I'm still waiting for the first HHR SS past 500fwhp. Cobalt guys did it a long time ago. Somebody has to go built and big turbo soon. I wanna see some 11's soon!

Dave
yes it is nice to see some new parts being developed! not that there aren't plenty of companies that make a clutch for the lnf but i have heard a half dozen or so stories of clutchmasters stg4 clutches exploding, issues with some of the non + series spec units, hell even someone finally grenaded an exedy hypersingle about a month ago and none of these power levels were over 500.

my build plans were originally a built zzp longblock and tranny along with their "soon to be developed" efr kit and 500+whp. these plans may have changed....just have to see what the future holds...but for now a clutch is holding me back. i am hoping to be at about the 350-360whp mark and well over 400 ft/lbs when i get the meth kit installed. at that level i am shooting for a 12 second run on slicks