HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Proud New Owner of HHR SS - With Facts and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:22 PM

Okay I hope you figured out the child lock if not then you just need to twist it one way it does take a bit of pressure but nothing insane so if it doesn't turn one way try the other.

I had the front fuel pump replaced on my old SS but this was due to wire shorting it out so not the fuel pumps fault. I have not heard of many going bad.

I had put powerstop brake pads and rotors on my SS. I will say didn't stop as good as stock but the lack of brake dust to clean off the rims to me was worth the slightly less braking power. At that point I was driving 30k+ a year.

You won't be sad with the SS. I went from a GTO to the SS, and now am looking to get into another SS.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sunflowerhippi
Okay I hope you figured out the child lock if not then you just need to twist it one way it does take a bit of pressure but nothing insane so if it doesn't turn one way try the other.

I had the front fuel pump replaced on my old SS but this was due to wire shorting it out so not the fuel pumps fault. I have not heard of many going bad.

I had put powerstop brake pads and rotors on my SS. I will say didn't stop as good as stock but the lack of brake dust to clean off the rims to me was worth the slightly less braking power. At that point I was driving 30k+ a year.

You won't be sad with the SS. I went from a GTO to the SS, and now am looking to get into another SS.
You lost me on this Sunflower. The front pump(high pressure unit) is a mechanical, cam driven pump.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
You lost me on this Sunflower. The front pump(high pressure unit) is a mechanical, cam driven pump.
Well then the dealership is even more retarded then normal. That was one of the parts that went when my car went electrical failure at the end and every CEL light on the dash was on and they replaced all the parts that were showing codes as faulty. They blamed it on the electrical shorts. Okay or maybe they were just done with my car and wanted to blow it up.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I remember your problems with that possesed SS you had.

Your'e probably correct in thinking they wanted it to blow up.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 AM

Sunflower, I did get the child locks UNLOCKED. I guess at the dealership when checking the car over I was just afraid of reefing on a car that was not mine and breaking it. Once I got it home, I gave it a little more effort with a little inward pressure and they both turned without issue.

As to the brakes: Last Wednesday I spent the evening after work installing the new pads and rotors. WOW! I cannot compare these Powerstops to new stock parts, but compared to the old pads/rotors I removed they are worth a million bucks. The old rear rotors were terribly grooved and rusted deeper than a few miles of braking could have ever cleaned. And, I believe at least one of the fronts was warped. Between sitting on the dealer's lot for 4-6 months (during a Michigan winter) and only periodic test driving, the pads and rotors were done for. The Powerstops seem fine so far. no vibration, no noise, and the car stops!

I did have some more fun last Friday, too. I noticed a gentle "clunk" and "shimmy" when the driver's window went up and down, at about the halfway point. It started to eat at me. "What the heck is going on with my car!?!" I was feeling ambitious so I took the interior off the door (which was the easiest door panel I have ever pulled, btw) with the help of a torx bit and a flat head screw driver. 1 torx screw underneath a little cover behind the door lever, 2 torx screws under a little piece of rubber at the bottom of the door pull, a reusable press rivet on the side of the panel, and a few press rivets on the inside. I managed to not damage a single rivet while removing the interior! I found that the wire bundle from the switches was zip-tied (factory) to the door skin, such that a large loop was resting on the vertical slide bar for the window. As the window went up/down, a plastic guide was hitting it. I cut the zip tie and installed another (better routing the wire bundle this time) and reinstalled the door interior. Problem solved! No more clunk!

So far, I am really impressed with how easy this car is to work on. I was fully expecting a matchbox car that would have to go to certified techs each time something was wrong.

So, when the new air filter arrives tomorrow, I think I will have this car buttoned up for the next few months (knock on wood). Then it will be on to new tires for the summer!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM

glad you got her worked out, one thing to note on these buggies is if you had a lot of wiggle in the brakes then you might have a wheel bearing going bad, which are notorious for going out on these. many threads on here about it and great how too's on replacing them. when i did mine i checked and all seemed good, but now I think I have one going out, sounds like a bird chirp kind of sound that changes pitch while driving.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:41 PM

Welcome to the SS club Calvin, sounds like you got a good find. My fuel pump went on me when I had warranty. Unfortunately, there are a lot of plastic components in the pump, not well made. The tech kept telling me not to keep the gas level low, which we all know that.

I have an auto, so it's hard to discuss the brakes. I know they are small and the rotors are small. I've only had to change my fronts so far. I'm gonna say it will be one of those items you'll need to change every 25k. (Can't have it all)

There are bugs, but are great cars for the price, you'll love it.