HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

question on stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 03:02 PM

question on stereo

The model I'm looking at has the 7 speaker high performance stereo. For those that have that system:

1) what is your satisfaction with the system?

2) is one of the 7 speakers a subwoofer - if so where is it located?

3) how many speakers are up front and are there two speakers back in the hatch area?

4) if the stereo does not come with the XM radio option, can it be added later or does the head unit need to be replaced?

5) what does the 6 CD upgrade buy you other than the obvious?
Old 07-25-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
The model I'm looking at has the 7 speaker high performance stereo. For those that have that system:

1) what is your satisfaction with the system?
2) is one of the 7 speakers a subwoofer - if so where is it located?
3) how many speakers are up front and are there two speakers back in the hatch area?
4) if the stereo does not come with the XM radio option, can it be added later or does the head unit need to be replaced?
5) what does the 6 CD upgrade buy you other than the obvious?
1) I personally like the system, the rear speakers could use some work, and I prefer more bass but there is still plenty of bass. I have had a loaner without the Pioneer system and I find it to be extremely lacking in comparison to the Pioneer system.

2) Yes, it is located in the rear drivers side panel in the cargo area, I do believe it's an 8 inch

3) Four speakers up front, two door speakers and two A pillar tweeters along with two rear door speakers, no cargo area speakers

4) I do believe you can just add XM on but do not take my word for it

5) To my knowledge it only adds to 6 CD changer
Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Exclamation

I am very impressed with the stereo. Good clear sound.

As far as I can tell to get the 7 speaker system, it must have XM . . . they go hand in hand.

On my 2004 Silverado I added XM to the factory unit, and it was plug and play. Love it!

Speaker locations, Tweeters on A pillars, drivers in all four doors, and the sub is located in the DS rear most panel in the back.

The six disc changer is just that, it even looks identical to the single disc radio. Oh and it adds $295 to the sticker price.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Thank you! I was considering buying a new Malibu at one point, but I thought their uplevel stereo was absolute junk. It really turned me off. Conversely I tried out a stereo in a Mustang and it was incredible.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM

The stereo is nice. I think Chevy SS is right, the sub is 8". I agree, it could actually use a little more base cause of the size of the cabin itself. Definately nicer then the base system and worth the upgrade. The only concern is the sub may eat into a bit of the cargo area at the back of the vehicle, if that matters to you.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 PM

I don't mind it much, its average for a factory system.

I don't mind the bass, but it needs to be deeper and go lower, but you can't do much with an 8".

The factory deck sucks, I just can't get it to sound right, then again the positioning of the driver side tweeter is less than optimal, due to the boost gauge.

I'll be yanking it all out by the end of the year.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:46 PM

Just a quick note:

if you raise the rear package shelf to the upper position. You create a quasi bass box. Sounds killer with it up.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
Just a quick note:

if you raise the rear package shelf to the upper position. You create a quasi bass box. Sounds killer with it up.
A new experiment to try... video at 11:00

Seriously, I never thought ov that. Wouldn't you need a blanket liner or something?

As for the original Q, it's the best car stereo I've ever had, but then I usually stick with the stock, and don't invest in all kinds of extra stereo stuff. I'm more interested in the ride and utility. (and now the fast fast fast thingy)
Old 07-25-2008, 05:09 PM

Just a quick note:

I will second Don's tip. I have the Premium stereo and thought it sounded fine--he suggested this and I tried it and it is SO MUCH better now!

I made a play-list on the nano of just bass-heavy songs (well, I love loud old-school UK punk rock anyhow and most of it is bass-driven ). I moved the HHR Cargo container to the top shelf so I can still use it and I can see it vibrate and shake with the tunes!

(cargo containter) does not obstruct my view out the back at all (I took off the headrests in the back seat too).

@...ready to cruise to the LB...
Old 07-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Just a quick note:

Hmm... may have to try this today.

Quick Reply: question on stereo